Author Topic: Web Shield Instant Virus Block and Another Question  (Read 2826 times)

GUNxSPECTRE

Web Shield Instant Virus Block and Another Question
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:44:07 AM »
Hi,

I unknowingly went on a malicious website via Google images and I clicked on the image twice (two avast! red pop-up notifications), and it kinda surprised me. 
I have read from other forums that in previous avast! free antivirus clients, you had to choose whether to abort connections or choose another action. 
Don't really remember if the red pop-up windows I had showed the option, but I do remember that I simply exited out of the pop-up window and took a peek at
my Web Shield statistic graphs (sure enough, 2 infected page scans).

So, does avast! 5's Web Shields auto-block viruses and am I safe?  I've done several full system scans with my avast! and all came up clean (along with a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware; nothing either).

AND

Does avast!'s scanning only work on Normal mode?  I've tried using it on Safe Mode with Networking but all I get is an insecure avast! (haven't tried scanning with it yet in Safe mode; probably doesn't work)

Much appreciated for the answers.

Light Archangel

Re: Web Shield Instant Virus Block and Another Question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:01:38 AM »
Hello GUNxSPECTRE welcome to the forums

So, does avast! 5's Web Shields auto-block viruses and am I safe?
In the default settings of avast! 5 when you clic a malicious website it aborts the connection automatically you don't have to worry  ;)
Does avast!'s scanning only work on Normal mode?  I've tried using it on Safe Mode with Networking but all I get is an insecure avast! (haven't tried scanning with it yet in Safe mode; probably doesn't work)
Maybe the reason of insecure avast:
In safe mode, only the basic windows services are loaded, the avast shields aren't basic windows services so for that shows INSECURE SYSTEM

But In the last version of avast 5.0.545 you can scan in safe mode
Another option may be a boot time scan  ;D

Greetings
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:08:23 AM by Light Archangel »

GUNxSPECTRE

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
Hello GUNxSPECTRE welcome to the forums

So, does avast! 5's Web Shields auto-block viruses and am I safe?
In the default settings of avast! 5 when you clic a malicious website it aborts the connection automatically you don't have to worry  ;)
Does avast!'s scanning only work on Normal mode?  I've tried using it on Safe Mode with Networking but all I get is an insecure avast! (haven't tried scanning with it yet in Safe mode; probably doesn't work)
Maybe the reason of insecure avast:
In safe mode, only the basic windows services are loaded, the avast shields aren't basic windows services so for that shows INSECURE SYSTEM

But In the last version of avast 5.0.545 you can scan in safe mode
Another option may be a boot time scan  ;D

Greetings

Thanks a lot for the answers. :D

Light Archangel

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 02:49:07 AM »
You're Welcome  ;D