Author Topic: Red slash thru tray icon and slow start  (Read 6900 times)

jpChris

Red slash thru tray icon and slow start
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Hi all,

I know this has been answered before, but I'm probably not entering the proper search terms.

Anyway, I'm running v.4.8 and everything was lovely until I DL'ed the latest database update. Since then, I've noticed that there's a red slash on the tray icon that wasn't there before: Plus, my system is taking about 10 seconds longer to bootup.

However, after about 10 seconds the slash goes away. What do I have to do to stop this?

Answers before they're asked:
No previous AV
Nothing checked to start\scan at boot (nor auto update) in program
Only one item in StartUp folder
Only four items checked in msconfig (ashDisp being one of them)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Red slash thru tray icon and slow start
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:36:59 PM »
When you boot, it's normal. The icon shown the actual state of avast and avast is loading...
I suggest you upgrade to version 5 anyway.
The best things in life are free.

jpChris

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:47:08 PM »
Hi Tech,

Thanks for the speedy response. I'm still kinda puzzled as to why it didn't do this until the last update.

Oh, well.

Anyway, what is your recommendation for the best way to update to v.5?

TIA

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
I see you are still running XP Windows Service Pack 2 so you should install Windows Service Pack 3 that has been available almost 2 years that contains several Critical Security updates plus performance improvements.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »
Well a simple VPS  update shouldn't do this at all as it isn't changing the 'program' functionality and 4.8 hasn't had an update for some time 4.8.1368. So I believe it is more coincidental than caused by a VPS update.

What you are seeing just seems to be a delay in loading and avast doesn't have any real control over that, windows controls loading order, whilst avast might get in early before a service it requires hasn't loaded yet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jpChris

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
@ YoKenny,

SP3 has about, like, a terabyte of stuff I don't want\need\have any use for. I've updated all the criticals and hotfixes and I've done the Secunia dealywad (I believe that's the technical term for it ;D) and I'm golden.

@ DavidR,
I believe it is more coincidental than caused by a VPS update.
Probably, but I didn't do anything else that would correspond to the odd slash at startup. I'll do a little digging and see if I can come up with anything.

Anyway, the question still remains: What is your recommendation for the best way to update to v.5 — without any brain damage?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 01:10:24 AM »
Come July, there will be no more MS extended Support in the form of security updates for XP unless you have SP3 installed, so the clock is ticking in that regard.

Download it and install it over the top of avast 4.8 as that will retain the registration/license information and uninstall 4.8. Though you don't say what version of avast 4.8 you are using home/pro ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 03:10:18 AM »
Anyway, what is your recommendation for the best way to update to v.5?
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

jpChris

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 05:09:42 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers.

@ DavidR,

I'm sorry — I should have mentioned I'm using Home (which my friends think I should be in, by the way). Also, for all intents and purposes, I do have SP3 as far as all the stuff I've mentioned above. I'm SP3 in everything but name. I suppose I'll have to figure out how to hack the name so ¡Avast! will think I have it.

@ Tech,

I think I'll do the extra steps and do a clean install because in the past I've had problems installing over the top of some programs. Thanks for the links.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
@ Tech,
I think I'll do the extra steps and do a clean install because in the past I've had problems installing over the top of some programs. Thanks for the links.
Post back the results ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the answers.
@ DavidR,

I'm sorry — I should have mentioned I'm using Home (which my friends think I should be in, by the way). Also, for all intents and purposes, I do have SP3 as far as all the stuff I've mentioned above. I'm SP3 in everything but name. I suppose I'll have to figure out how to hack the name so ¡Avast! will think I have it.
<snip>

You're welcome.

avast doesn't really care what OS and SP you have (provided the OS is compatible with avast 5.0, which it is), the problem is Microsoft, they are dropping extended support for XP in July unless you have SP3 installed and not just in all but name only.

jpChris

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
@ Tech,

Uninstalled; Rebooted to "Safe"; Ran Uninstall Utility; Rebooted to Desktop; Installed v.5; Went through settings and only checked "Enable self-defense" and "Load services after . . ."; Rebooted.

All is well except: Now there's a yellow "!" on the tray icon saying "System not fully protected".

?????

What now?

@ DavidR,
Avast doesn't really care what OS and SP you have . . .
Mea culpa! I misunderstood and thought you meant ¡Avast! wouldn't be supporting anything less than SP3. Couldn't care less, though, about M$ and SP3 as there's, like, a gazillion support sites — free, by the way.

So, what' up with the yellow "!" anyway?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 08:33:08 PM »
So now were on a Yellow i rather than a Red slash, the object is an ! exclamation mark (in a
triangle) indicating that not all of the shields are running yet.

This may in some cases take a few seconds before they are running, if that is the case not much to be concerned about. But you should check which shields aren't yet running ?

By left clicking on the icon, the avastUI opens in the Summary section, click the inverted triangle to expand the details and that should say which function or shield/s isn't running.

jpChris

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
Hi David,

I did as you suggested and clicked "Secure" and the "!" disappeared. The only thing that was unchecked, however, was "Auto Updates".

I don't want auto updates. Am I going to have to live with the "!"?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »
What auto update, as the virus definitions (signatures) and engine are the only one set to auto (Program is Ask) and that is an incremental measured in KBs not MBs so shouldn't get in the way. Personally I don't see the point of having resident protection if you don't also keep the signatures up to date.

However, that choice is yours and there is a way round it, avast Settings, Status Bar, Components Monitored and uncheck the Definitions auto updates.