Author Topic: Upgrade to Avast! Internet Security not working  (Read 6911 times)

Simmi

Upgrade to Avast! Internet Security not working
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »
A couple days ago, I placed an order to upgrade from avast!Free antivirus to Avast Internet Security.  This was going to cost me $49.99 so I entered  card details to make the purchase (My card has not yet been debited).  I was then prompted to download the product which seemed to be successful although I had to first uninstall avast!Free antivus which I also did.  I was then provided with a license file which I saved to the hard drive.  However, I couldn't work out how to insert the license file to activate the new virus protection. 
The next day, I reinstalled avast!Free antivirus as I didn't want my computer not to be protected at all.  I checked emails and had received a license file via email which I saved to the hard drive (replacing previous license file) and backed up to USB.  However, I still couldn't work out how to insert it to activate the new virus protection.   
So, I clicked on the avast icon in the tool bar (bottom right of screen) which came up with avast!Free antivus (hence, I don't think the Avast Internet Security is working) and requested I register the product otherwise it would expire in 30 days.  I clicked on Register Now and found an option saying that I'd like to upgrade my avast!Free antivirus to Avast Internet Security.  I clicked on Insert Avast!Pro Antivirus/Internet Security license file and inserted the license file saved on my hard drive.  A window came up saying "Thank you.  Your license file has been inserted successfully.  The program will now upgrade to avast!Internet Security." 
All seemed good however, the next day, when I logged onto my computer again and clicked on the avast icon, it is still showing that I have avast!free antivirus and that I need to register otherwise it will expire in now 27 days. 
Can someone tell me if I have correctly upgraded to avast!internet security and how I can check to see if it is working or not?
Thanks, Simmi. 

jaysblueaus

Re: Upgrade to Avast! Internet Security not working
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
Under subscription it says insert license file, there you have to browse to your license file and select it presto you are licensed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »
Were you using an account with administrator privileges when you first registered successfully and if so is this the same account showing the registration message ?

Presumably if it were now the AIS version you should have Firewall and Anti-Spam options in your settings, if not then the conversion/upgrade didn't take ?

I don't know if it would be better to do a clean install of AIS:
- Download the latest AIS version of avast, 5.0.545 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and AIS 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GloobyGoob

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 05:54:26 AM »
if you insert the license key in the free version it won't upgrade. You have to download the Internet Security Setup http://www.avast.com/internet-security#tab3 and insert the key into that version. It should work then.

Personal experience.

Edit: Make sure to follow the uninstall directions that David provided. Not uninstalling completely may cause problems
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:56:41 AM by GloobyGoob »

Simmi

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »
Hi there, I followed your instructions below and all seems to be good.  I'm actually quite surprised it all worked but it's now coming up with Avast! Internet security and I have firewall and anti-span options in my settings.  Thanks very much for your help.  I appreciate it.

Regards

Simmi

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:30:51 AM »
if you insert the license key in the free version it won't upgrade. You have to download the Internet Security Setup http://www.avast.com/internet-security#tab3 and insert the key into that version. It should work then.

Personal experience.

What do you mean by "won't upgrade", exactly?
It was designed so that it should upgrade.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »
Hi vlk, there's a problem with upgrading from the free version. When you insert the license it says it completed successfully but it has none of the new features, even after numerous reboots. There has been numerous people on the forum with this issue.

akGinger1

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
That is exactly what i am having problems with. I have gone thru all the forums and found what i think is my best route for starting all over. I have scrubbed my system clean of the free avast from last year. I purchased avast! 5 internet security on the 20th and i should have it installed in the next hour or so. If it works, i will be surprised. I am ready to shut off windows firewall to help with matters. I will download a different firewall when i get all done. I just hope that the license key is correct, in the form of an attachment i was emailed after my purchase FROM AVAST! site. my reciept states that it is also for avast! internet security, so i should be set. we'll see...

HP Pavilion dv5 PC
Windows Vista service pack 2
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @2.00GHz
4.00GB RAM
64-bit