Author Topic: Windows "Security Essentials" -- To Use or Not To Use?  (Read 3859 times)

nweissma

Windows "Security Essentials" -- To Use or Not To Use?
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »
I am using Avast Pro (of course, no complaints!)
I am also using IE8 on Vista 32.

i ask whether there is benefit, or detriment, to be had by installing Microsoft "Security Essentials" http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ in addition to Avast Pro.

GloobyGoob

Re: Windows "Security Essentials" -- To Use or Not To Use?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »
I wouldn't suggest using that because having two running antivirus programs may cause problems. They'll conflict with each other, so it's worse than having just one. Hope this helps. :)

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »
completely unneeded...why use two AV ??? MSE is good too, but you must choose + if you install it on top of Avast it might conflict with it. MSE is a full antivirus solution, with a service running etc...meaning that even if you deactivate the resident protection, its drivers will be loaded and run processes in parallel with Avast services. Not good.

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »
I agree, don't ever run two AV's. We have MSE on the Vista machine here and so far , so good. It's simpler to use but the one thing I'm not real fond of is that it uses the Windows Update mechanisms to update it's database.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:23:38 PM »
Not to use with avast.
They could work for a while. Then will conflict and fight to the detection and for the files. It's the same history of having to applications as residents trying to do the same.
You need to chose. The problems, when happen, is that one antivirus could avoid the detection of the other. Here two is NOT synonym of more secure.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:50:05 AM »
If your going to use both you should turn off resident protection in MSE. Check my post here. You can then scan with MSE as a second opinion.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59852.msg504804#msg504804

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:31:03 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

taztime

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I was using Microsoft Security Essentials for awhile with Avast; but it slowed down my old computer to a crawl.  So I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and just started using Avast by it's self.  The computer started running faster with just Avast on the system.