Author Topic: Home 4.8 and 5.0 work fine - AIS 5.0 painfully slow?  (Read 11045 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Home 4.8 and 5.0 work fine - AIS 5.0 painfully slow?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »
So you only have a slowdown opening this one test-folder..?
Which shields are installed right now..?
Did you try to uninstall the virtualization feature..?
There's a bug, so you would have to uninstall -> reboot -> uninstall again.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

straightforward

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
So you only have a slowdown opening this one test-folder..?

No. All folders are affected. It is noteably slower even if there are only 10 files in a folder, of course it will not take 28 seconds but just a few.

Which shields are installed right now..?

slowness unaffected, regardless of shields installed.

Did you try to uninstall the virtualization feature..?

No, that I did not do. What I did, was A) stopped, among others, virtualization and B) made new install without installing it at all, which I guess results in a pretty much equal effect.

See my initial posting:

whenever I open a WIN Explorer window that contains more than just a handfull of files, the opening lags s_i_g_n_i_f_i_c_a_n_t_l_y. To be specific:

As an example, there is one folder that contains some 140 MB in 123 files:
2 flv files, 112 and 20 MB
64 pdf files, totalling 8 MB
and 57 links to some other pdfs sitting in different folders on the same HDD

Opening that 140 MB folder takes 28 (!) seconds with AIS 5 installed (with 4.8, it took just an instant)!

No reasonable difference was noted when I tried the following:

- disabling the modules, one by one, until ALL of them were off
- de-install AIS via control panel > software, reboot into safe mode, run aswclear5.exe, reboot, custom install AIS only file system and web modules

(emphasis added)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »
You can try to lower the shield settings for 'Wirkungsgrad' (as you use the german version) or even eventually uncheck 'Code-Emulation verwenden' to test if this is the problem.
Also uncheck 'Gesammte Dateien prüfen' and 'Virus-Adressierung ignorieren' if checked.
Reboot after that.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

straightforward

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:29 PM »
although I had already gone back to simply installing & activating Free 5.0 and was reasonably happy, after having received all your suggestions I felt I owe it to you to at least give AIS one more try, and report the outcome back to you all.

So, as it meanwhile has become routine, I de-installed Free 5.0, used aswclear5.exe in safe mode, re-booted and installed AIS 545, un-checked all functions except file system, web modules and german language.

Unlike before, this time NO LAGGING was experienced, don't ask me why.

I then added via control panel > add/delete the behaviour module. Reboot. Still, no lagging.
Added the script module. Reboot. No lagging.
Added the network module. Reboot. No lagging.
Added virtualization. Reboot. No lagging.

Added avast! firewall. Reboot. Bingo! Lagging half a minute.
Deleted avast! firewall. Reboot. STILL LAGGING. Strange.
Deleted virtualization. Reboot. Now, no lagging any more.

Conclusion: The combination firewall / virtualization causes the lagging.

Being behind a router, I feel sufficiently safe to live without avast's firewall function.

For me, the problem is solved.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

Kind regards: Walter

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 09:53:09 PM »
You're very welcome..!! :)
asyn

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »
although I had already gone back to simply installing & activating Free 5.0 and was reasonably happy, after having received all your suggestions I felt I owe it to you to at least give AIS one more try, and report the outcome back to you all.

So, as it meanwhile has become routine, I de-installed Free 5.0, used aswclear5.exe in safe mode, re-booted and installed AIS 545, un-checked all functions except file system, web modules and german language.

Unlike before, this time NO LAGGING was experienced, don't ask me why.

I then added via control panel > add/delete the behaviour module. Reboot. Still, no lagging.
Added the script module. Reboot. No lagging.
Added the network module. Reboot. No lagging.
Added virtualization. Reboot. No lagging.

Added avast! firewall. Reboot. Bingo! Lagging half a minute.
Deleted avast! firewall. Reboot. STILL LAGGING. Strange.
Deleted virtualization. Reboot. Now, no lagging any more.

Conclusion: The combination firewall / virtualization causes the lagging.

Being behind a router, I feel sufficiently safe to live without avast's firewall function.

For me, the problem is solved.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

Kind regards: Walter
Well the firewall helps to prrotect you from hackers...

kevinjs

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 03:08:23 AM »
Wanted to throw my 2cents in also...

Yes, it seems to me that AIS is much slower than the 'free home' versions I've used before which provided pretty much the same level of protection...

The question is very simple: Why is the 'pro version' (AIS) so much slower than the free home versions.

Thank you,

-Kevin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 03:10:07 AM »
Yes, it seems to me that AIS is much slower than the 'free home' versions I've used before which provided pretty much the same level of protection...
Well, the protection is NOT the same. avast free is an antivirus and AIS is a suite, antivirus + firewall.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:36 AM »

The question is very simple: Why is the 'pro version' (AIS) so much slower than the free home versions.

...and I would add "on your system" ::) ...as to 4.8 free (aka "home") providing the same level of protection than AIS you must be joking...check the software before posting...your two cents ;D