Author Topic: Avast! Pro Antivirus shuts off when virus attacks it.  (Read 18347 times)

Mike9812

Avast! Pro Antivirus shuts off when virus attacks it.
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »
Today, a Rogue-Anti-virus infected my HP Slimline. It is secured with Avast! PRO Anti-virus. The rogue antivirus was named - "My Security Engine". When I tried to access Avast! It was completely disabled. When I pressed "Fix Now" It wouldn't turn on, the same with the "Real time Shields" It was all turned off. Luckily, I had one more Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was able to detect and delete the rouge antivirus that somehow got on my computer and disabled Avast! Pro Anti--virus. The same is with a Trojandownloader:win32 appeared on my Dell Inspiron 1545 and Avast! PRO Antivirus was disabled. Again Malwarebytes Anti-Malware saved me. So WHY Does Avast! Get disabled and not turn on when I need it the most, when my computer is attacked?

What is the use of having Avast! Pro Anti-Virus when a virus just kills it?

Michael Sanangelo - Ohio, USA
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:14:52 AM by Mike9812 »

Hermite15

Re: Avast! Pro Antivirus shuts off when virus attacks it.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »
just one question: what do mean by "somehow" ??? when you're talking about the way the rogue got downloaded, you have absolutely no idea?
 How Avast reacted is another question, and that's unfortunately not the first time I hear that it doesn't block rogues downloads and actions.

Mike9812

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 02:51:34 AM »
just one question: what do mean by "somehow" ??? when you're talking about the way the rogue got downloaded, you have absolutely no idea?
 How Avast reacted is another question, and that's unfortunately not the first time I hear that it doesn't block rogues downloads and actions.
The thing is, I haven't used that HP Slimline in a few months, I use my laptop 24/7. I just got on today to get all my pictures off onto a USB then out of no where this rouge starts installing. I used to play video games on that computer all the time, but I scanned mostly every file before opening. Thats not the issue at hand here. The issue is Avast! Anti-Virus PRO Does not work when I need it the most. The virus just turns it off and wont re-enable itself, even after pressing "fix now" or "start program"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:58:32 AM by Mike9812 »

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:28:19 AM »
Try using Superantispyware or MBAM to remove the rough program
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Saty

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:06:47 AM »
calc,

you might want to reread the OP first post, He already got rid of the rogue with malwarebytes~wink~

he is asking why avast didnt catch it and was shut off.

Rogue AV's are a major thorn in all legitimate AV's side in My opinon.

Sat

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 04:33:23 AM »
here is one reason why it didn't stop this one getting on:

- Fake antivirus overwhelming scanners, whilst this is an old article, the trend is still there.
http://news.techworld.com/security/3203072/fake-antivirus-overwhelming-scanners/

The reason for the growth in numbers is what is known in technical terminology as ‘polymorphism', an old defence technique which involves changing the binary checksum of every copy (or download) of a piece of malware. This makes it much more difficult for antivirus programs to detect the programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mike9812

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 05:02:12 AM »
here is one reason why it didn't stop this one getting on:

- Fake antivirus overwhelming scanners, whilst this is an old article, the trend is still there.
http://news.techworld.com/security/3203072/fake-antivirus-overwhelming-scanners/

The reason for the growth in numbers is what is known in technical terminology as ‘polymorphism', an old defence technique which involves changing the binary checksum of every copy (or download) of a piece of malware. This makes it much more difficult for antivirus programs to detect the programs.

I read that article, I get it a little more now. Infact, I just downloaded Superantispyware portable edition on my USB to use incase my computer gets infected again and I dont have MBAM.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:21:08 AM by Mike9812 »

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:54 AM »
The thing is, I haven't used that HP Slimline in a few months, I use my laptop 24/7. I just got on today to get all my pictures off onto a USB then out of no where this rouge starts installing. I used to play video games on that computer all the time, but I scanned mostly every file before opening. Thats not the issue at hand here...

I don't agree with that sorry, rogues don't come just like that ::)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »
1. If avast didn't detected it that doesn't means that it is 100%
Because no Av give 100%/ more protection ;D

2.If you have the Pro version of avast why didn't you use the Sandbox?
Doesn't the Sandbox makes avast look cooler O.O?

Mike9812

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »
The thing is, I haven't used that HP Slimline in a few months, I use my laptop 24/7. I just got on today to get all my pictures off onto a USB then out of no where this rouge starts installing. I used to play video games on that computer all the time, but I scanned mostly every file before opening. Thats not the issue at hand here...

I don't agree with that sorry, rogues don't come just like that ::)
I'm not kidding. Explain to me how a rogue gets there when I haven't used that computer in more than 5 weeks.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
The rouge program install when you download it and runs its installer. It can't infect a computer from nothing. If you dont remember what you installed last time then that is other thing. Maybe someone that used it.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 05:37:50 PM »
Have you checked the USB stick you used ?

Mike9812

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 05:43:25 PM »
Have you checked the USB stick you used ?
Yea, I scanned it with Superantispyware before I put it in. And after I got infected. Results=Clean

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 06:54:10 PM »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 06:57:36 PM »
The free version I mean..update it fully and do a full scan with it and post the log here for people to help u!