Author Topic: why does avast not disable windows firewall  (Read 9918 times)

zfactor

why does avast not disable windows firewall
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:24:02 PM »
after install?? also for some reason i keep having every so often to have to turn it back off. never had this issue with norton 2010 or others.
i turned it off after i installed on this system and i was installing printer software today and noticed it was turned back on. i have turned it off 3 or 4 times on this system and 2 times now on the wifes and i just got a new laptop and install FRESH win 7 then avast NOTHING else rebooted and it was still turned on.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: why does avast not disable windows firewall
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »
Have you used the Norton removal tool before installing avast?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
Because Alwil Software when developing the AIS firewall spent time at Redmond (Microsoft) so that it was compatible with it on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zfactor

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
okay thats fine but i DONT WANT IT ON..why does it keep turning back on then if i turn it off it should stay off.

and i did not have anything else installed prior to avast as i said this was a CLEAN fresh install i installed win7 then avast nothing else whatsoever. dont get me wrong this will not make me change to a diff av. but its just annoying.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:10:38 PM by zfactor »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:11:04 PM »
okay thats fine but i DONT WANT IT ON..why does it keep turning back on then if i turn it off it should stay off.
This is a Windows problem, not avast. If you disable it, it should remain disabled. avast does not enable it back...
The best things in life are free.

zfactor

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
i removed avast to test on this system using the removal tool. then i installed nis2010 from norton and the problem is gone (ran for a week for testing to make sure it didnt turn back on). i then removed norton using the removal tool and reinstalled avast and the problem came back again. so something is going on there...

GloobyGoob

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:30 AM »
I have avast Internet Security and it doesn't turn on the Windows firewall.

Have you turned off file sharing and network discovery in the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel? Doing so will automatically turn Windows Firewall back on.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:34:24 AM »
Have you turned off file sharing and network discovery in the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel? Doing so will automatically turn Windows Firewall back on.
Living and learning... Turning off the file sharing will turn on the windows firewall? ???

zfactor

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:07:43 AM »
see i did not know that either thank you that may have been the problem ill play with it again and let you know. thanks

Saty

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »
Tech,

Me too~lol~ I actually went and looked and it says that windows firewall will be turned on when disabling file sharing and or network discovery.

Learning something new everyday here.

Sat

GloobyGoob

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:46:05 PM »
Living and learning... Turning off the file sharing will turn on the windows firewall? ???

Yes, it does. I do not understand it either :P

JSN

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 01:06:02 AM »
DavidR said avast! Firewall "was" compatible with Windows Firewall. So should we turn off Windows Firewall or it is ok to let both on ?  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 01:11:34 AM »
You can let both "on".

kevinjs

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 07:25:58 PM »
OK they can both be 'on'. What is the benefit of having two firewalls, other than the rewarding time sync of maintaining both?

Thank you,

-Kevin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
OK they can both be 'on'. What is the benefit of having two firewalls, other than the rewarding time sync of maintaining both?
Maintainability is minimal (not frequent updates).
But I need to learn more about it to post. As far I know, some blockings are made only by Windows Firewall and not by AIS. If this is addressed, I'll keep only AIS (as it allows control of the outbound connections).