Author Topic: Multiple Ashwebsv.exe draining the CPU memory  (Read 5597 times)

webbs

Multiple Ashwebsv.exe draining the CPU memory
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:50:01 AM »
8 - 15 processes are running simultaneuously. I searched the forums and found this:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36237.msg304008#msg304008

The above procedure is correct?

Where to Uninstall? (Start > Controlpanel > Add/Remove programs?)

How to Boot the computer?

I am using:
Avast 4.8 Professional
Windows XP
Internet explorer 8
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:53:21 AM by webbs »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Multiple Ashwebsv.exe draining the CPU memory
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:36:57 AM »
The version of Avast you are using, although still supported for now, has been superseded by version 5; currently at 5.0.545.

Do you wish to upgrade to this version (recommended, by me and probably most others) or stay with the one you have?
What version of XP do you use (SP2, SP3?)

In general terms, you would download an install and save it (and download and save any other files needed, too) prior to uninstalling.
Whenever you are uninstalling/installing an AV (or firewall) and your computer is unprotected, it is best to be disconnected from the web during that time.
Security software installs and uninstalls should be run from an account with admin privileges.

The current version of Avast 5 can be found here for downloading. (The Avast 4.8 versions can also be found lower down on that page.)
The Avast uninstall utility can be found here.

The procedure would be to:
- right click the tray icon, select "program settings" then "troubleshooting" and disable the Avast self defense module. (Opinion varies as to whether that is necessary or not. It can do no harm, and sometimes prevents the uninstaller from not working correctly from what I've seen.)
- Uninstall via control panel>add/remove programs. Reboot. (If there were problems with uninstalling, reboot into safe mode, see next.)
- Run the Uninstall Utility you downloaded. If there were problems with the uninstall, this needs to be run in safe mode. Reboot (into normal mode)
- Run the Setup file you dowloaded earlier, to install Avast. Reboot as prompted.
- Reconnect to the internet, get updates (will probably happen by itself.)

You should be good to go.

Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

webbs

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:53:54 AM »
Do you wish to upgrade to this version

I don't understand. I have been paying renewal fee every year. And software upgrading itself automatically. Why it is still in version 4?

Thanks for the explaining. I will go thru it.

How to reboot a computer?

What version of XP do you use (SP2, SP3?)

SP3.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:55:54 AM by webbs »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:08:55 AM »
How to reboot a computer:

Click on "start" (at the bottom left of the screen) then "turn off computer" , then "restart".
It will shut down, but immediately go through the startup routine.

"Why is it still in version 4"

That I don't know, maybe the version 4 updater in your installation was not set to update the program automatically.
If you click on the tray icon, select "updating" then "program update", that may be a quicker and more straightforward way to do it.
Some users reported problems doing that in the early version 5 versions, though, which is why I suggested the alternative procedure.

You could try manually updating the program, but if you run into problems, go through the full procedure. Whatever you want to try.

webbs

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »
OK. I followed the steps and everything went smooth. (Didn't get a chance to use uninstall utility though)

Now this version 5 is not accepting my old licensekey when I click on 'Insert licensekey' button. Getting error 'Invalid licensekey'. Still until august I am covered with updates.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:10:23 AM »
Try writing to sales@avast.com with your subscription information, you could include the URL to this thread, and they should send you out a replacement key.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:26:56 AM »
OK. I followed the steps and everything went smooth. (Didn't get a chance to use uninstall utility though)

Now this version 5 is not accepting my old licensekey when I click on 'Insert licensekey' button. Getting error 'Invalid licensekey'. Still until august I am covered with updates.

- avast! 5 Pro license convert from 4.8 Pro license. Try http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php now, fill in the form giving your email and 4.8 Pro License key and they will send the new license file to you (presumably it will check you have a legit 4.8 Pro license first).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

webbs

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »
I submitted a support ticket. They told me to use Uninstall utility rather than simple add/remove program. So I did whole process with uninstaller.

After installing > I clicked on 'Resend license' button on the program menu. It resends the license file. I updated the program with it.

Everything is fine now. Thank you all of you who responded to my thread!!

Good day!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »
You're welcome, glad that you have avast5 fully up and running now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security