Author Topic: Javascript and IE6  (Read 15525 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Javascript and IE6
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 11:28:20 AM »
Have found i could emulate this problem by installing the PRO version, and then using a HOME key to validate AVAST beyond the trial.  (ver 4.1.268)
It appears that durring the coversion from pro to home there was an issue.

Exactly, that was the problem. Namely it was caused by the fact that during the downgrade to Home, the Script Blocker (which is not part of the Home Edition) files were correctly deleted but were not unregistered from the system.

Thanks for this insight, w0mbat.
This will be fixed in today's update.

Vlk

WOW, this was my 1000th post on this forum ;D ;D

« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 11:29:13 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

veryangry

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2003, 09:32:36 PM »
Guys, you must be kidding.
This is a MAJOR issue. It just happened to me (tried the pro version, uninstalled, tried the server version, would not generate a valid demo key, uninstalled the lot). Next day I get crazy trying to understand why JS is no longer working, and Help/About does not even display IE version!

I downloaded your software yesterday, but reading this post you should have fixed this problem 2 months ago. Obviously you haven't since it just happened.

Your software has wrecked my system and caused me a lot of wasted time. And all this for a bug that you have known of for at least two months. Now I am here trying to find out a way to get out of this. What is the registry setting to change in order to be able to reinstall IE? Grrr. I can't believe I have to do this because of your buggy software!

The unregistration of the dll did not work (how could it anyway? avast is thank god already uninstalled!), no norton around, and you have a very angry user.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2003, 09:44:00 PM »
Guys, you must be kidding.
This is a MAJOR issue. It just happened to me (tried the pro version, uninstalled, tried the server version, would not generate a valid demo key, uninstalled the lot). Next day I get crazy trying to understand why JS is no longer working, and Help/About does not even display IE version!

I downloaded your software yesterday, but reading this post you should have fixed this problem 2 months ago. Obviously you haven't since it just happened.

Your software has wrecked my system and caused me a lot of wasted time. And all this for a bug that you have known of for at least two months. Now I am here trying to find out a way to get out of this. What is the registry setting to change in order to be able to reinstall IE? Grrr. I can't believe I have to do this because of your buggy software!

The unregistration of the dll did not work (how could it anyway? avast is thank god already uninstalled!), no norton around, and you have a very angry user.

It's really a pitty that you do not come to forums before you install avast!
You try a version not compatible with your system.
Avast! is not a buggy program. We can help you if you want  8)
The best things in life are free.

veryangry

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2003, 10:27:49 PM »
You try a version not compatible with your system.
I am running a standard Windows XP SP1. Are you saying avast is not compatible with it? Interesting.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2003, 10:40:32 PM »
No, read your first post:

tried the server version...
[/b]

Look, we have a lot of troubles with 'false alarms' of incompatibility of avast! I do not want to start a new false issue and will report this to the Moderators.  8) Now, I am very angry  >:(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2003, 01:11:25 AM »
veryangry,

I didn't quite understand whether you were downgrading from Professional to Home or not (e.g. by entering a home reg key to the Pro installation). Of course I agree that this is a MAJOR issue but AFAIK it only used to happen during the downgrade scenario, and this was supposed to be fixed about 2 months ago...

To solve the program, the easiest should be install the Pro version, reboot, uninstall, reboot. Or was it the Server Edition that you had installed the last time?

I guess not:

tried the server version, would not generate a valid demo key,

this one is interesting as well: did you get an error message? Do you have your system clock set correctly?

Thanks (and sorry for the inconvenience :-\)

Vlk

Numpty

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 02:38:44 PM »
sorry for talking about this in more than one thread but...

I'm not downgrading
I installed the avast pro trial on a clean install of windows XP pro

and javascript stopped working completely

some machines let you uninstall avast and the javascript works again, other machines need windows reinstalled to work
all running win xp pro

very frustrating

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 02:52:43 PM »
You need to do the ahaScr.dll trick. That's all.

Sorry for this,
Vlk

willlik

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2004, 05:51:15 PM »
I know VLK gave a good answer concerning the script blocker, but wouldn't it also be a good fix to go ahead and get the JAVA from Sun installed to get away from the Javascript anyway?

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2004, 05:52:14 PM »
Well I doubt that would help in this particular case... :)

gtgenter

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2004, 12:36:30 AM »
What is the Ahascr trick???? My  IE, media player, and others won't work because of the AHASCR.dll error!!!  Please help

Fast

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2004, 08:59:49 PM »
Look in this same thread, page one, answer 2 by VLK, there's the answer.

Fast.