Author Topic: Avast Password not Recognized in Safe Mode  (Read 3701 times)

jsk

Avast Password not Recognized in Safe Mode
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:38:07 AM »
Hi, and thanks for any help in advance.

I am using Avast 5.0.545 on a Windows Vista Home Premium x64 system.  When I boot to safe mode, run Avast and then try to execute a command (such as altering Avast settings) that requires my password, Avast does not properly recognize it -- I can't get past the password dialog.  This does not happen after a normal boot (i.e., not in safe mode).  Is this a bug, or could it be that Avast's password recognition relies on a service that does not get started within safe mode in order to maintain some kind of self-protection?

Hermite15

Re: Avast Password not Recognized in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:39:46 AM »
that's not a bug. Avast services don't run in safe mode, just manual scans do, so all protected areas of Avast being unaccessible, there's no reason and no mean to have your password recognized when entered. (if you find that you can access protected areas in safe mode, you'll also find that any setting change won't be retained, as a result of what I said)

jsk

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:10:28 AM »
I suppose that this would not be a problem except for the fact that one cannot then customize a manual scan that one might wish to run when in safe mode.  One would have to customize the scan when normally booted (when one can enter the password to do so) and then reboot to safe mode to access the scan.  Of course, this is a problem if booting normally is not working and one can only boot to safe mode.

Thanks for the guidance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »
If you're considering to scan in Safe Mode, indeed, create a manual scanning won't be the way with a password.
But can you schedule a boot time scanning and booting again?
The best things in life are free.

jsk

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:32:22 AM »
If you're considering to scan in Safe Mode, indeed, create a manual scanning won't be the way with a password.

I suppose that one could do this (if scheduling a boot time scan is not a password-protected activity), but it doesn't address the issue of being unable to create/alter a custom scan in safe mode.  I'm not certain that doing so is a necessity, but if I was having trouble in non-safe mode and booted to safe mode in order to try to investigate, it would be nice to be able to create a custom scan that might do more (e.g., scan all files, scan archives, etc.) than a boot-time scan.

Light Archangel

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 05:44:23 AM »
I am using Avast 5.0.545 on a Windows Vista Home Premium x64 system....

The boot time Scan is available in 64 bits?

BTW, The full system Scan in safe mode Should be enough to get rid of Virus...  ;)

Greetings