Author Topic: Avast blocking all outgoing mail  (Read 2302 times)

hexicon

Avast blocking all outgoing mail
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:59:03 AM »
Upgraded to 5.0.545, the email shields prevented my mail client (Pocomail) from sending any mail via the Gmail smtp server, didn't matter whether it had attachments or not. Receiving mail worked fine. Just posting in case anyone else was having a similar problem; the error message was so vague it took me a couple days to figure out avast was doing it but sending works fine now with the shields turned off.

sded

Re: Avast blocking all outgoing mail
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 05:32:40 AM »
Maybe http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58711.0 would help.  TB, not Pocomail, but settings should be similar.  Don't know whether you need to use port 587 (TLS) or 465 (SSL) or something else with that client.  Did you set Pocomail to no encryption?  What were other settings.  Currently you have just turned off Avast! scanning.

hexicon

Re: Avast blocking all outgoing mail
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:18:33 AM »
Hi, I didn't see that thread or I would have just posted there, sorry. I use port 587. The other settings are all standard per the instructions Gmail gives for generic clients. I don't plan to reconfigure the client to get the email scanner to work (if that's even possible) since I don't need my emails scanned, Poco has worked fine as is up until I updated avast!, and turning the shields off fixed the problem; I simply didn't realize that when I upgraded avast! it had turned on that feature. I am a little surprised that something scanning my outgoing mail would interfere to the extent that I couldn't even connect to the server. It didn't cause any problem with incoming mail though. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:22:18 AM by hexicon »