Author Topic: Latest virus definitions fails to install  (Read 7155 times)

W3FSY

Latest virus definitions fails to install
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
I have FREE version 5.0.545 and it is reporting as being Secured, but I'm unable to manually update failing definition 100616-1 after trying a dozen times. This is the first time I've had any problems with updates not being automatically installed. It does show in red that updates are not current with being stuck on 100616-0.

I tried disabling my Online Armor firewall to get the latest updates manually and that is not a solution. All I get is two files each time I try to do a manual update.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Latest virus definitions fails to install
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
1. Remove avast entries from the OA program settings. Try again.
2. Set "No proxy" into avast update settings.
The best things in life are free.

W3FSY

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
Hi Tech,

I removed AvastSvc.exe and AvastUI.exe fron OA firewall, but the firewall makes automatic decisions and keeps adding them before I can access and try to install manually. I also selected No Proxy in my Avast settings. I get 2 files installed and that is all. I've had this version installed since the release of it and this is the first time I've encountered any problems with updating.

I'm unable to believe I'm the only one with this update problem today. I did run MBAM earlier and everything showed "no problems". Is virus definitions 100616-1 the latest to be installed?

Ron

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »
The avast updates process is avast.setup so that is the one which OA has to allow.

Try putting OA into learning mode and do a manual update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »
@ W3FSY

Get rid of Spybot S. & D as it is obsolete when using MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware with SpywareBlaster 

W3FSY

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »
Ok, DavidR - I tried putting OA in Learning Mode and all I get is 2 files downloaded as before, when trying to update definitions 100616-1. Automatic  decisions seem to take place enabling Avast for Updating.

Disabling OA does not allow the definitions to be installed as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »
OK at least it now looks like you can do manual updates, and if you can do that then in theory the auto update should work getting past OA and any possible block of avast.setup.

The manual update check effectively downloads only two files if your system is up to date (100616-1 is the latest version), these are used to compare what is on your system against what is available. So no virus definition files will be downloaded when you have the latest version as would be reported, see image.

I don't know anything about OA other than it seems to have some quirky ideas/methods. Some firewalls when you disable them (aren't actually completely disabled) and may still block files from its application list or even block all internet acess when disabled. So I wouldn't read too much into not being to update if OA is disabled.

I also don't know how Cyber Sentinel does its filtering or if that can get in the way.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

W3FSY

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:35:13 AM »
Like I say DavidR, All I'm able to update to the latest definitions is 2 files. I even downloaded the definitions as a Firefox download and it made no difference as only two files would install.

I checked CNet and their Avast! download/install for v 5.0.545 includes definitions through 100614 which is outdated.

I shut down Cyber Sentinel (disabled it) and went to Add/Remove Programs and tried making Change by doing a Repair. It ran doing a repair, but when I tried doing a manual update it would not do anything other than two files once again. It says it is up-to-date and yet it still shows as Red on the Summary Page and requiring 100616-1 update.

I'm snowed, David. Do I do an uninstall and re-install v 5.0.545? I can't be without anti-virus protection and am afraid that after today, I may have an outdated AV program.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 02:12:03 AM »
There is physically nothing to update if you already have the latest version which you have. Regardless of if you are up to date, the manual check will download two files, servers.def.vpx to update the servers.def file if required and prod-ais.vpx.

These two will always start the update process and only if you don't have the latest version and you are reporting that you have 100616-1 (which is the latest).

So your problem isn't that of your title "Latest virus definitions fails to install" as it is working as it should, your problem is that it isn't reported correctly by the avastUI Summary.

Have you tried rebooting, that usually resolves this out of sync virus definitions version ?
Or try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual virus definitions version (in avast 4.8 not so much in 5.0).

W3FSY

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:53:32 AM »
Those were the two files. I could of swore I had re-booted after doing a repair. Of course, I didn't save the log to the clipboard, as I should of. Fresh start-up resulted in Update 100616-1 being installed and showing in the avastUI Summary.

I'm certainly happy and hope I have no more update problems. Thank heavens I won't have to re-install for getting updated, I hope.  :)

Thanks loads, DavidR. You know your avast av that's for sure.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »
You're welcome.