Author Topic: How to prevent avast from connecting to internet? Including the new ads.  (Read 13831 times)

Hermite15

Re: How to prevent avast from connecting to internet?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 12:42:33 AM »
I think the main issue here is that the OP doesn't understand why Avast is connecting at all...and we've explained it all already >>> not much more we can do to prevent him from interpreting things...hum...curiously ;D >>> that's a dead end street ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:44:53 AM by Logos »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »
Which takes us right back to what I wrote near the beginning... http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60110.msg506865#msg506865
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

PapaSmurf

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
Ummm...
Microsoft connects to the net all the time.....
You gonna block it? Hmmm?
Avast is suppose to have access to the net. That is
one way it keeps you SAFE. The only reason I can see
to not allow a TRIAL piece of software, (if I read your post correctly),
such as Avast an internet connection is to try and keep the trial fully functional
past whatever time limit is set.
If you do NOT trust the security software, then what good is it?
Then again, what good is the OS you are using?
You connected to this post..right?

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 08:04:52 PM »
The scenario the OP presents as the reason why he doesn't want Avast! to connect is extremely unlikely because of the self protection built into Avast! (and every other good security program). The chances of the files being altered by malware are very remote. What would be more likely to happen is that the malware would completely disable Avast!, including it's ability to connect to the internet. It wouldn't want any AV to be able to get updated signatures that might detect it's presence. The chances of that happening are also remote though due to the same self protection features.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »
If it is likely to modify/disable an antivirus application it could do exactly the same to your firewall or create a backdoor that bypasses it all together. There are limits on what you should do to prevent stuff happening, when what you are doing borders on the paranoia the best option is to completely disconnect your PC and or sell it.

If the worst comes to the worst, having a robust backup and recovery strategy will stand the test of time more so than locking your system down so much so that nothing runs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

b184953

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 01:29:31 AM »
Guess I was right :p

Avast now has advertisement even in the paid versions... Now you see why I said that I do not want software to auto-connect to the internet - the producers of the software may silently do something nasty in the background...

I truly wish the company Avast (cheers on the new name) provided an option for the antivirus to not autoconnect to the internet - so that it may regain the trust that it may be losing now... Just a simple checkbox in the options... Please?

Diazruanova

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 01:54:41 AM »

Avast now has advertisement even in the paid versions... Now you see why I said that I do not want software to auto-connect to the internet - the producers of the software may silently do something nasty in the background...

As far as I know, avast is one of the most serious, trusted and reliable security companies all over and this sound to me like extreme paranoia, so maybe your best option would be to change to another program that meets your requirements.

0strodamus

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 03:07:25 AM »
How are you determining that avast! tries to connect to the internet? Is it merely accessing Windows internal network subsystem or making an actual outbound connection attempt? If it is an attempt what is the hostname it is trying to connect to? That may shed some light on the connection.

So I guess this solves the AvastUI.exe issue - in case the automatic connection exists in the purchased Pro version as well, I will ask for an immediate refund.

I doubt you'll see the refund if you make a purchase - that's why a trial is available.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
No, you weren't.

1. It is NOT an advertisement.
2. If you do not trust avast as your security program, better will be moving.
3. Nasty? To be updating? To try to provide support for the users? Time for changing...
The best things in life are free.

dabeniao

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 09:08:41 AM »

Now, regarding the AvastSvc.exe, I performed a new installation in a completely clean virtual machine so that I am absolutely certain. I chose not be become a part of the Avast community, I did NOT install the Webshield, Mailshield, IMshield, P2PShield. I set Engine and Virus definitions, and Program updates both to Manual. I enabled "My computer is permanently connected to the internet.". And I unchecked the following Components Monitored (i.e. the following components are not monitored): Virus definition version, Program version, Definitions auto updates. But I still get AvastSvc.exe trying to connect to the internet... (And AvastUI.exe also trying to connect, but now I know why).

As quoted, it seems that you did installed the Network Shield?

If you did, it looks reasonable to me that avastsvc.exe connect to the Internet, because it has to monitor your network.

On my VM, when I choose to not install Webshield, Mailshield, IMshield, P2PShield and Network Shield, there is no avastsvc.exe connections at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »
On my VM, when I choose to not install Webshield, Mailshield, IMshield, P2PShield and Network Shield, there is no avastsvc.exe connections at all.
dabeniao, I suppose you do this for testing purposes.
To protection, I see a huge degradation on avast capabilities if you stay only with the file shield.
The best things in life are free.

dabeniao

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 03:33:13 PM »
dabeniao, I suppose you do this for testing purposes.
To protection, I see a huge degradation on avast capabilities if you stay only with the file shield.

You're right. Actually I do this just trying to reproduce the situation that b184953 encountered.

On my working machine, I had avast! Free fully installed and activated.