Author Topic: New Install 5.0 AIS. Firewall not working. Service not working  (Read 2863 times)

phylo

I'm on XP SP3. Have been on free 4.8 but decided to pay for 5.0 AIS.  Not sure it was a good idea at this point. 

Install said it was successful but on reboot got a blue screen and had to start with last known good config.  When I got in I noticed white cross and "system is not secured" message on icon and nothing seemed to be working.  Clicked "Fix" and it reported "The following component could not be started: Firewall".  Forum advised repair through Control Panel and Repair which I did but it said I couldn't "Firewall driver couldn't be installed.  The installation will proceed without the avast! Firewall component" (this error was not reported in the original installation). Installation continued but still nothing was working.  I also got a message like "avast service is not active".

I have since used the clean unistall in safe mode and reinstalled with the latest download but same result (even the blue screen). Can anyone help with a futher suggestion?

Gargamel360

Re: New Install 5.0 AIS. Firewall not working. Service not working
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »
Any other previous firewall would be a good start.

phylo

Re: New Install 5.0 AIS. Firewall not working. Service not working
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:06:27 AM »
I had Windows Firewall on the first time I installed but I've had it turned off since after seeing this indicated as a possible issue in a forum post.

If this is a problem shouldn't the install messages or instructions highlight this?

Reinstalled 4.8 - no worries.  Turned off Windows Firewall, manually uninstall ed 4.8.  Installed 5.0 fresh.  Same problem - blue screen on restart, etc.

I've returned to good old 4.8 again.  No problems with that!  But I need to know whether to cancel my payment for 5.0.  Advice would be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:13:29 PM by phylo »