Author Topic: Programs that are compatible with Avast:  (Read 13501 times)

taztime

Programs that are compatible with Avast:
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:25:42 AM »
    Here is small list of programs that I've found work very well with Avast:
  ( These programs have run on my computer with Avast ! at one time or the other ) :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Ccleaner: it goes into you registry and cleans it out.
2.DeFraggler: it does just what it's name says.  It DeFraggs your hard drive.
3. MalwareBytes: another virus scanning program.  Great program for Windows XP users.
4.Speccy: goes into your computer and tell you all about your computer.  Like what OS your using, ram,what kind of keyboard your using, what mouse, and on and on.......
5. Recuvd: will help you to recover deleted files.......
.....  most of these programs are put out by PIRIFORM.  They have their own website.........
6. Superantispyware
7. Mbam
8. ErrorTeck
9. WinXP Manger
10.Registry Mechanic
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:23:32 PM by taztime »

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Programs that are compatible with Avast:
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:28:58 AM »
Malwarebytes is not a virus program. It's great but it takes care of malware, not viruses.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

taztime

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:45 AM »
Some of the sites that you can download these, and other programs,  both Freeware and Shareware for the above programs, are the following:

1.  FileHippo.com
2.  TuCows Freeware
3.  C-net downloads
4.  Piriform
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:21:16 AM by taztime »

ravi16aug

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
Malwarebytes is not a virus program. It's great but it takes care of malware, not viruses.
Technically, the term malware covers every variety of malicious software like viruses, trojans, worms, rootkits, spyware etc. The fact that MalwareBytes chooses not to detect viruses does not alter the definition and meaning of the word malware. avast!, AVG, Avira etc. are technically more suited to be categorized as antimalware products than MalwareBytes
As an insignificant example - the excellent website FileHippo.com recently merged the sections -Antivirus and Antispyware into a single section - Antimalware, thereby correctly reflecting the broad coverage of the term.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:42:00 PM by Ravi Gupta »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
at the OP: give me one reason why Piriform products wouldn't be compatible with Avast ::) ... you're posting that they are...fine ;D

taztime

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: .....

Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.[1] The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all phrase to include all types of malware, including true viruses.

Software is considered malware based on the perceived intent of the creator rather than any particular features. Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, dishonest adware, crimeware, most rootkits, and other malicious and unwanted software. In law, malware is sometimes known as a computer contaminant, for instance in the legal codes of several U. S. states, including California and West Virginia.[

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:27:31 PM »
The fact remains, though, that Malwarebytes is not an AV and will not clean a virus.  It is no substitute for a resident AV, regardless if you opt for the Pro version with active shields or not.      (It is, however, keeping with the thread topic, compatible with Avast!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:29:46 PM by Gargamel360 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:52:17 PM »
The fact remains, though, that Malwarebytes is not an AV and will not clean a virus.
Generally, it cleans very well...
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »
The fact remains, though, that Malwarebytes is not an AV and will not clean a virus.
Generally, it cleans very well...

yeah, just what I was thinking...it's being advised when the others can't remove anymore, and this includes trojans etc...it all depends on what you call a virus Gargamel...I have no idea how MBAM behaves when it's resident, but it seems quite good at cleaning systems...browse the forums here and you'll get the idea...

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:33:20 PM »
...it all depends on what you call a virus Gargamel...

Oh, so its a Clintonism!  A 6year hiatus from any in-house pc (and thus, any pc security concerns) leaves me confused as to the very definition of malware.  I would hardly knock Mbam, seen it clean things here and on my own system.  The apparent miss-statement I made of "will not clean a virus" is also rooted on what I've read on Mbam forums, i.e. experienced users saying you should still run a resident AV, even with MbamPro. (I'd root out a link to the quote, but their forum is....awkward).

Looking now, that is in regard to active defense, not on-demand, thanks for the correction :-[ :)
@Logos: nice fowl, he's in for a hangover if he drinks that whole bottle ;D

Dch48

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
I would also include the excellent free Defrag program offered by Auslogics as well as the free registry cleaner they also have.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:56:03 PM »
I've read on Mbam forums, i.e. experienced users saying you should still run a resident AV, even with MbamPro. (I'd root out a link to the quote, but their forum is....awkward).
If you do not imbibe French wine all the time then the forum is quite informative.

So how did I get infected in the first place?
4.) Antivirus
An Anti-Virus product is a necessity. There are many excellent programs that you can purchase. However, we choose to advocate the use of free programs whenever possible. Some very good and easy-to-use free antivirus programs are Avast, and AntiVir. Please run only one antivirus resident at a time!
It's a good idea to set your antivirus to receive automatic updates so you are always as fully protected as possible from the newest threats.
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=9365

I do not use anything from Auslogics.

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »

...@Logos: nice fowl, he's in for a hangover if he drinks that whole bottle ;D

yeah, not sure yet how long I'll keep this avatar but I find it extremely funny :D

Gargamel360

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »
I've read on Mbam forums, i.e. experienced users saying you should still run a resident AV, even with MbamPro. (I'd root out a link to the quote, but their forum is....awkward).
If you do not imbibe French wine all the time then the forum is quite informative.
Informative, yes, very.  My statement was "awkward", 1 example, trying a search and getting told i can't use any combination of less than 4 letters......when half of anything on the web has a 3 letter-or-less abbreviation.  And I would think drinking any alcohol while reading will impair me...Canadian lager included ;)

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »
Informative, yes, very.  My statement was "awkward", 1 example, trying a search and getting told i can't use any combination of less than 4 letters......when half of anything on the web has a 3 letter-or-less abbreviation.  And I would think drinking any alcohol while reading will impair me...Canadian lager included ;)
Especially if you are used to the weak beer you have that some call ButtWider.