Author Topic: avast! Internet Security install problems  (Read 5516 times)

akGinger1

avast! Internet Security install problems
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »
I 've posted a comments on a couple threads and even did my own a couple days ago. I have spent the last few days reading the forums trying to see if there is information i can use. here's what i have done.

I have used the uninstall tool to delete (from safe mode) the free version i had from last year. I have deleted the other installs over the last couple days with the same procedure.  I downloaded 5.0.545 internet security from the avast! site... I entered the license ID from the attachment i recieved on the  20th into the install procedure and after it installed i get this message (this is the farthest i have gotten so far)

" Trial period could not be activated. Please make sure the computer is connected to the internet."

... to that i say if i was not connected i would not be able to post this thread... i have maintained connection thru the whole process for the last 3 hours.

Vista home premium service pack 2 (updated prior to starting any downloads)
HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00GHz
4.00 GB RAM
64-bit

This is the message i get when i try and click on the avast! icon on my desktop... after restarting...

"The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:19:29 PM by akGinger1 »

Gargamel360

Re: avast! Internet Security install problems
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
Hello again.  Try doing a forum search (from the main forum page) on "side-by-side configuration".  Problems related to Windows update. Hope this helps :)

akGinger1

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
well, i did what i found from the search... tried to download and run that app. it failed for some reason...

" Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly ' Microsoft.VC90.ALT, version="9.0.30729.1", publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b" , processorArchitecture= "x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070424.  "

what does this mean???

YES I MADE SURE TO DO THE ONE FOR  A 64-bit system  ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:40:22 PM by akGinger1 »

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
Chase the rabbit further down the hole, Alice ;)  Try to Google the error message, see where that leads you.

akGinger1

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »
google kicked back my own thread... i'm going to be in for a long day again!!!

will i be able to scrap this whole project and just get the free version back??? i'm not going to waste any more DAYS trying to figure this out. I did a search for ' error 1935' and i'm just not savey enough to get all this... i can do pretty good but this is over my head... gargamel360 is the only one still, who has even tried to help me and i'm still just as lost trying to understand all of this... THANKS dude!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:53:56 PM by akGinger1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:30:53 AM »
An installation from the scratch (using both Control Panel and the uninstall tool) should do it.
Remains of old antivirus or other security program could be messing avast installation.
Sorry, can't guess how to help more.
The best things in life are free.

akGinger1

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »
well, i did that too... i even double uninstalled and double rebooted... just to make sure it was completely gone so i could start from scratch.  No luck... still having the same problem. Honestly i am giving up and since my computer now is having so many problems running normal now since i've bought the licence on the 21st. I have to take my computer into a techy to fix it. Trying to do this myself with no one but Gargamel360 to help me really didn't make my situation any better. I did learn a lot off the forums and i tried my best to figure out all the ins and outs.  I really DO like the free version i used for so long! I am frankly scared now to try and install it because i am really having so many crashes with my OS and i really don't like seeing the blue screen of death on a laptop that is just barely 1 yr old! I'm not bashing the avast! products!!!!! I just didnt' get the help i was seeking for the last 4 days...  i have already requested a refund of my money so i'm done trying to fix it myself. Thanks for getting back to me, just a little too late to help.

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 06:29:42 AM »
Yes, my kind of help isn't the best kind, I'd imagine :-[ ;D   Sorry I could not be of more help, but look on the bright side, you can just blame Vista, you will have plenty of support on that ;)

akGinger1

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:34:52 AM »
i meant no offense to you. you were helping the best you could! what i found is that i would have to do many more downloads to have the slightest hope of getting IS  to work properly. Now that i have it off and gone ( i think)  i can't download ANY A/V software and my OS is freezing up, I've gotten 3 Blue screens... I just don't know what happened. I luckily got malwarebytes to load so i was able to clean up what was left from avast!... it was a bad experience and i havent' heard back from ANYONE about my refund.  A product that is having that many problems with Vista, SHOULDN"T be advertised as compatible with Vista. Trust me, I CAN"T STAND Vista but i can't afford the upgrade. I'm going to spend what $$ i have to fix the problems i have aquired from many installs/uninstalls of a broken product.  UGH, again tho

THANK YOU GARGAMEL360... you really did give me hope right to the end! the only reason i even kept trying to fix it myself. Keep up the good work, you'll go far! ;D

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
Geez, don't throw me a parade :-[ ;)  I've actually seen more problems for XP users of Avast!5 than I have for Vista posted on these forums.  The Vista reference was just a poke at its bad reputation in general, not in relation to Avast!.  Don't quit on Avast!, it hasn't quit on you.........it just can't seem to get started ;D