Author Topic: Win 7 Outlook 2007 avast! 5.0 Add-in Missing  (Read 3515 times)

Peter Axup

Win 7 Outlook 2007 avast! 5.0 Add-in Missing
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:48:46 PM »
I set up Mail Shield in both Avast Free Antivirus and Outlook, but Outlook cannot connect to the mail server, "Task 'my mail account-Sending" reported error (0x800CCC80): 'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.'" It appears that the Avast add-in to Outlook is missing. I've unistalled and reinstalled Avast with no success, even using the uninstall utility aswClear5.exe.

When launching Outlook, Avast splash screen for "ms outlook plug-in" appears and then disappears.

Outlook, Tool, Trust Center, Add-ins:
Nothing containing the name "avast" appear in the Add-ins list.

Nothing is under Manage, Disabled Items pull-down menu.

What is the name of the Avast add-in, and which folder should it be in?

How do I get a copy of the Avast add-in for Outlook?

Thanks.
Peter

Configuration:

Windows 7, 64-bit, eMachines ET1831-07
Outlook 2007 with BCM, SP 2

Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.545

Outlook Tools, Account Settings, More Settings, Advanced, Server Port Numbers:
IMAP, 143, None (type of encrypted connection)
SMTP, 25, None (type of encrypted connection)

Avast Real-Time Shields, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts:
imap.gmail.com, IMAP, 993, SSL
smtp.gmail.com, SMTP, 587, TLS

I know the Gmail account is set up correctly at Gmail, because if I set Outlook with these settings (Outlook, Tools, Account Settings, More Settings, Advanced, Server Port Numbers), Outlook successfully sends and receives Gmail:
IMAP, 993, SSL
SMTP, 587, TLS
However, when I set up Outlook this way, an Avast info window pops up, saying "avast! has detected a secure connection from your mail program (process OUTLOOK.EXE) to the IMAP server 74.125.127.109 (gmail.com). This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses. Please disable SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail. The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TLS security itself."