Author Topic: Avast reduces internet speed  (Read 13715 times)

jim256

Re: Avast reduces internet speed
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »
Hi Namaste!,

I have tried disabling the web shield and it does seem to work, although it still seems a bit laggy when I
am watching TV online, unless I fully disable Avast. The problem is I don't want to be disabling any of my
protection at all, so it isn't really a fix and it leaves me exposed, I am going to give this one more day and
if it hasn't been fixed then I am just going to reinstall Comodo with AntiVirus.
You might try just disabling Intelligent Stream Scanning in WebShield (Expert Settings).  I have 2 wireless laptops that have speeds reduced by about 30% when that's enabled.  It does not seem to reduce your protection when disabled.

jlasec

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 08:48:32 PM »
I use AT&T's U-Verse Max ISP and just finished a session with their tech support on why my download speed speed (speedtest.net) was only 1.9 MBS.  I disabled my firewire as they claim to have a H/W firewire built in.  This did nothing to the speed issue.  When I disabled Avast download speed went to 11.5 MBS.   Is anybody listening at Avast?

Gargamel360

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
My ISP claims to give me 16meg, which of course i never have, but speedtest.net clocks me around 13-15, depending on time of day, not nearly the disparity you report.  You can try turning off the shields individually to try and troubleshoot?

mnavp

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
I am having the same problem here.  My internet connection speed was fine until Avast updated to version 5.0.545, then connection speed slowed down dramatically, slow page loading, slow tab opening and pages locking up.
Before I isolated Avast as the culprit, I disabled ZoneAlarm and Malware AntiMalware, no difference. Talked to IT guy at work, told me to disable the Behaviour Shield on Avast. I tried that and my connection speed is back to normal, no more slow loading of pages or tabs.

Saw many topics on similar issues and was not sure which topic to choose. 

my system stat
Gateway 504 GR
P4, HT 3.00GHz
1.50 GB Ram
XP Home SP3 Version 2002
IE8
Avast 5.0.545
Malware AntiMalware 1.46
ZoneAlarm 9.2.044.000

EntitY

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 02:17:56 AM »
I had a slow-down on XP using wireless, so decided to go wired for different reasons and speed shot way up. That was my solution anyway.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »
For those who may not believe there is an issue,
an entire thread is devoted to it:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56694.0

Many have posted there, myself included.
For the record, there IS a slow down issue.
It does not bother me too much, as I am not an online gamer.
But I imagine it would bother someone who is.
Take a GOOD look at that other thread before suggesting that someone get rid of their firewall.
For the record, I do not know why there is a slow down, but I do know that it is with-in Avast.

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
@ PapaSmurf

As I have DSL and not cable Internet access I do not have a slowdown with avast!

See my response to Shaun985 in the topic:
Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56694.msg509338#msg509338

PapaSmurf

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
@YoKenny

I can only speak from my experience.
I am not debating the issue, simply reporting my experience.
See the test results I posted, one with web shield on, one with it off.
Ran the tests twice, first time they were run back to back, second time
I gave it 2 minutes between tests. Both runs had the same results.

Dch48

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
I have cable and as I have said, there is no difference in my speed at Speedtest with all shields of Avast! off vs all of them being on. Why some people are seeing this and not all is a mystery.

EntitY

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 11:32:54 PM »
XP Sp-3, Download speed on wireless was 5'ish Mbps and wired is from 30-40Mbps, so go figure. I'm no Tech, but know when speed is through the roof.

mnavp

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 12:10:49 AM »
Well Folks

Looks like I spoke too soon. Internet connectin speed was okay after turning off only Behaviour Shield yesterday, now experiencing slow connections again today.   
I have a wired connectin with comcast, and a motorola surfboard modem.
Experience slow down when opening my home page, and when opening new tabs, using IE8.
Maybe I will turn off Web Shield as others have done and see what happens.

jeeva

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
You can check your internet speed test here http://www.ip-details.com/  It provides ip address,ip search,domain host search,get ip details....

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

just wanted to say, that Intelligent Stream Scan is nothing that you might want to disable to improve speed. What it does is checking the content as it is being downloaded and handing it to the browser sooner - as soon as it is scanned and not after the whole file is downloaded (as it is so when Intelligent Stream Scan is disabled).

When this feature is disabled, the whole file is cached in avast temporary folder, then scanned and then handed to the browser. Depending on the speed test, this might indeed seem like a tremendous increase in speed :-) since from the local temp folder, the speed might be very fast...

Lukas.

Dch48

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 06:10:16 AM »
It would seem to me that the Intelligent Screen Scanning would make your speed faster, not slower, since when it's off the browser doesn't get anything until all the scanning has been completed.