Author Topic: Which uninstaller to use?  (Read 5115 times)

randunyogo

Which uninstaller to use?
« on: May 27, 2010, 06:07:32 AM »
Shouldn't people be using Revo Uninstaller instead of the avast uninstall utility or add/remove programs in case they need to reinstall because of a problem? It uninstalls completely and even deletes files/registry related to the program.

SafeSurf

Re: Which uninstaller to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:10:28 AM »
Every software has instructions on how to remove it's program.  In this case, the devs. recommend using their instructions and if necessary the Avast Removal Tool.  If you find that you want to check for remnants using the software you suggested in your post, by all means do so since it is a good software...but only after following Avast's recommendations IMO.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:37:02 AM »
I agree with SafeSurf on this.
I am a big fan of Revo and use it all the time.
In the case of an anti-virus program, or even some firewalls,
you really do wish to use the removal tools offered for them
if they exist. The removal tools are designed to target specific
areas that the program uses, and in fact Revo may miss.
Proper removal is one way to ensure that you will not have any conflicts
with future set ups.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:48:19 AM »
Also agree with the two above. Revo is a good uninstaller particularly for programs that have a poor uninstaller, or have become corrupt.
I have never had a problem with Avast in this regard.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

ravi16aug

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
Every software has instructions on how to remove it's program.  In this case, the devs. recommend using their instructions and if necessary the Avast Removal Tool.  If you find that you want to check for remnants using the software you suggested in your post, by all means do so since it is a good software...but only after following Avast's recommendations IMO.
Your comment on one hand shows you are familiar with Revo, but on the other hand you recommend using it after following the standard procedure. Can you explain how is one supposed to use Revo AFTER using the standard add-remove module. The correct procedure, IMHO is to first disable avast! self-protection and then simply use Revo in the manner it was intended to be used. In my experience, even selecting the 'Thorough' removal option does not have any adverse effects.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »
Why will I disable avast self-defense for an uninstallation? ???
I use Revo. Does a good job (although it could go deeper in Registry cleaning). Also, it is problematic when the program needs to boot while uninstalling. Revo should run on next start and not killing the normal uninstallation/booting removing the files and keys before booting. The user stays with the false impression that it works better than the normal uninstaller because he/she does not boot the computer (yet).
The best things in life are free.

ravi16aug

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
Why will I disable avast self-defense for an uninstallation? ???
I use Revo. Does a good job (although it could go deeper in Registry cleaning). Also, it is problematic when the program needs to boot while uninstalling. Revo should run on next start and not killing the normal uninstallation/booting removing the files and keys before booting. The user stays with the false impression that it works better than the normal uninstaller because he/she does not boot the computer (yet).
Disabling self-defense facilitates easier deletion of avast! files that are supposed to be deleted during an uninstall. As far as Revo removing files/keys before restart goes, these files are marked by the program uninstall routine for deletion on system reboot. Revo finds additional(generally) files/keys and also marks them for deletion either immediately or upon a reboot. This set is generally a superset of the set identified by the normal uninstall routine. Upon reboot, the files/keys are deleted by both the uninstall module and Revo. There is no conflict since if the file/key is not found it cannot and will not be deleted.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:25:13 PM by Ravi Gupta »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
Disabling self-defense facilitates easier deletion of avast! files that are supposed to be deleted during an uninstall. As far as Revo removing files/keys before restart goes, these files are marked by the program uninstall routine for deletion on system reboot. Revo finds additional(generally) files/keys and also marks them for deletion either immediately or upon a reboot. This set is generally a superset of the set identified by the normal uninstall routine. Upon reboot, the files/keys are deleted by both the uninstall module and Revo. There is no conflict since if the file/key is not found it cannot and will not be deleted.
I'm not talking about conflicts. Revo could delete a file/key that the normal uninstaller needs upon reboot to finish its job. Deleting it previously is the same as assume that Revo always do a better job than the normal uninstaller. This is not true in all the times. Revo is NOT good on uninstalling programs like firewall, antivirus, backup tools, etc. The fact that it shows some files and keys for the user to delete makes the naive user thinks it is always doing a better job. Drivers, legacy keys, services keys, etc. are just left behind even in the advanced mode of uninstalling in Revo. It is NOT a panaceia. It works very well, but it has problems with applications that need to boot to uninstall. Just my 0.02.
The best things in life are free.

randunyogo

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:50 PM »
ok thanks to all the replies  :D