Author Topic: need to get files out of the cheest, change setting to allow "exe" files  (Read 2301 times)

clarkrptg

After an automatic update, my Avast ses legitimate files with "exe" extensions as threats and moves them to the chest (again, automatically).  They are not threats and I need to know how to get them out of the chest.  It's been a complete nightmare for three solid days.  I have thousands of these type of emails that I've been working with for over 8 years. 

Is there any setting I can make in Avast to change it so it doesn't automatically flag all "exe" files, but gives you the option to download and open if from a "trusted source" like AOL? 

Hermite15

can you give one example, one file? what shield is moving those files you're talking about, the mail shield, the file system shield?

edit: on a side note my email provider wouldn't allow any *.exe to be sent as a rule.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:17:26 PM by Logos »

SafeSurf

AOL does allow *.exe files to be sent and downloaded.

However, I haven't had the problem of these types of files going into the chest, so something else must be going on. 

clarkrptg, have you tried running an on demand scanner like MBAM http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/ to make sure you are malware-free with these *.exe files?  After downloading MBAM FREE version, I would do a Full (deep) Scan.

Hermite15

so something else must be going on

most likely yes ;D but the OP doesn't seem ready to provide additional info it seems...