Author Topic: vast alert flash  (Read 2977 times)

veegee

vast alert flash
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »
Hi:  Yesterday I had a quick flash alert from Avast and all I managed to read was something about a shield being shut down and then it disappeared.
Today I got another one that said something about Dcom exploit.  They come and go so quickly that you don't have enough time to read it.

What does this mean and what should I be doing, if anything?

Thanks in advance.

Hermite15

Re: vast alert flash
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:13:38 PM »
run this and report back:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

veegee

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:14:26 AM »
Thanks for reply Logos.  Updated and scanned with the following:
Malwarebytes, Dr. Web., and Avast  -  All were clean of infections

a-squared, free  found Trojan.Crypt!IK  in C:\program data\wild Tangent & C:\users\all users\Wild Tangent
I sent to quaranteen and deleted them.

Everytime I scan with a-square it lists 5 suspect files  (Bejewelled, Build a lot, Chuzzle, Peggle, & Zuma).  But these are games with Wild Tangent, Inc. written under the game name.  Are these games maybe infected or maybe a false positive?

Anyhow, as I write this, I just got another quick flash from Avast - all I caught of the alert was "network shield blocked".
What does the network shield do?

Please help  -  thanks.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 06:36:54 AM »
Go to this link, http://www.mywot.com/, and search for Wildtangent.  Not very friendly reviews.  WOT isn't perfect by any means though, 2 other site advisors, BrowserDefender, and Norton SafeWeb, say they are clean. 
I have no experience with a2 other than reading in many places it has awesome detection rates....at the cost of a high false-positive rate.  So FP's are a possibility.  But if the Avast! network shield is blocking, I would say that lessens the odds of it being false.
If you go into traffic history on your network shield, you should be able to find what it is blocking.

veegee

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »
Hey Gargamel360, thanks for the comments, but I am not all that familiar with Avast yet.
Would you mind explaining how to go into traffic history on the network shield?

Does the network shield block unsafe sites?
Too bad those alerts disappear so quickly that one doesn't have a chance to really read it.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »
Open Avast!, go to Real Time Shields>>Network Shield.
Traffic history and report file are in the bottom right, both of which will show blocks.
And yes, Ntwk shield does block known malicious sites.