Author Topic: Does anyone know how the version 4.8 of Avast will continue to be supported?  (Read 6228 times)

cnon

Dear All,

Does anyone know how the version 4.8 of Avast will continue to be supported?

Please write back

Sincerely,
Cnon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It will probably only be VPS updates and then the end of this year is probably a good guess. Now that avast 5 has been released 4.8 can't be supported indefinitely. However nothing has been stated oficially as far as I'm aware.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

As long as the definition updates are still compatible with v4.8, I can't see why it wouldn't still be usable. It won't receive program updates though obviously. I think v5 is a superior product in every way though and would recommend updating to it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Ok. But virus definitions compatibility is a fact. We have this in the past, some virus database required a program update on version 4.6 or 4.7 if I remember correctly. The architecture of the virus database requires (or will require) a program upgrade.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As long as the definition updates are still compatible with v4.8, I can't see why it wouldn't still be usable. It won't receive program updates though obviously. I think v5 is a superior product in every way though and would recommend updating to it.

There are already two VPS update streams 4.8 and 5.0, so that heuristic and generic signatures that aren't compatible with 4.8 aren't included. The 5.0 virus definitions are also more efficient and take up less room, consequently the complete VPS for 5.0 is a smaller download than avast 4.8, see avast! VPS Update - Manual Download.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
I guess the point will come where the balance between:
1. The number of paying customers still using 4.8 (currents lack of network management tool for 5.X is a factor),
2. The extra work and therefore cost required to compile and serve the 4.8 updates, and
3. The perceived benefit and goodwill of providing such extended support,
tips the balance in favour of stopping.

Side note:
PC Tools have recently dropped support for all versions of their products that can't use the latest Symantec-derived database architecture. Legacy OS compatibilty is not an issue for them but it means they don't have to divert themselves from other tasks in order to create updates for less effective products.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
PC Tools have recently dropped support for all versions of their products that can't use the latest Symantec-derived database architecture.
This would happen, sooner or later...

Dch48

There are already two VPS update streams 4.8 and 5.0, so that heuristic and generic signatures that aren't compatible with 4.8 aren't included. The 5.0 virus definitions are also more efficient and take up less room, consequently the complete VPS for 5.0 is a smaller download than avast 4.8, see avast! VPS Update - Manual Download.
I wasn't aware that the updates were different. Given that, it does make sense for support for the older product being dropped at some point in the not too distant future.

cnon

I wasn't aware that the updates were different. Given that, it does make sense for support for the older product being dropped at some point in the not too distant future.

Thanks everyone for replying.

I want to make it clear that it is a friend's computer that I need this info for, not my own. :)

I wanted to know so I could update sooner rather than later, if need be.

If anything official comes, please let me know.

Thanks,
Cnon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Seems that December 31, 2010 is the last day for version 4.8 updates.
Only 0,3% of avast users are using non-supported operational systems.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
I guess I can assume that they'll have the netclient version ready by then, otherwise they'll leave all of their business clients with no updates.  ;D
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I guess I can assume that they'll have the netclient version ready by then, otherwise they'll leave all of their business clients with no updates.  ;D
For sure it will have an update to version 5 until there...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
<snip>

No, because they still have the overhead of compiling the 4.8 virus database and that has to be run against the white list to try and ensure there are no major FPs. Not to mention whilst 4.8 is supported in the VPS area, it is still live and has to be supported in other areas, like support.avast and theses forums, etc. and with time that becomes much harder as fewer people helping actually use 4.8.

Whilst I don't believe there will be any program updates relating to new functions, etc. if there was a vulnerability found, etc. them my guess is Avast wouldn't just hang 4.8 users out to dry by not applying any security related program update.

So it will end as I believe and now Tech mentioned at the end of this year.

Dch48

<snip>

No, because they still have the overhead of compiling the 4.8 virus database and that has to be run against the white list to try and ensure there are no major FPs. Not to mention whilst 4.8 is supported in the VPS area, it is still live and has to be supported in other areas, like support.avast and theses forums, etc. and with time that becomes much harder as fewer people helping actually use 4.8.

Whilst I don't believe there will be any program updates relating to new functions, etc. if there was a vulnerability found, etc. them my guess is Avast wouldn't just hang 4.8 users out to dry by not applying any security related program update.

So it will end as I believe and now Tech mentioned at the end of this year.
That's pretty much what I meant by "the not too distant future"

circlingsky

I usually just read the boards rather than post, because you all are so tech savvy and helpful and I don't have anything to contribute that would help anyone :)  But I wanted to jump into this thread because I finally updgraded from 4.8 to 5 and I'm very happy with it!  Figured there might be some people like me who aren't all that knowledgeable about computers and were nervous about taking the plunge and moving on to version 5.  I used to always read the threads about how long 4.8 will be supported, because I was clinging to it and was just very nervous about updating.  I couldn't be more pleased with the new product.  And it was so easy to do!  Just download, install and let Avast handle everything.  No uninstalling of 4.8 was needed, 5 took care of it.

As I said, just wanted to maybe reassure other people like me who might check out the forum and feel a little less nervous knowing an inexperienced 4.8-clinger like me made out just fine, both on a Windows 7 computer that had 4.8 installed, and an old XP computer which had just had Norton (ugh) UNinstalled.  LOVE Avast 5!  Thanks so much for this wonderful product.