Author Topic: Graphics Problem Preventing Licensing  (Read 11704 times)

Nex Necis

Graphics Problem Preventing Licensing
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
I tried to register from within the Avast! console but, the popup graphic is not rendered properly.  The only thing that I can do that has any useful affect is to hit the esc key to get rid of the popup.  Moving my mouse pointer across the popup makes it redraw the console under the popup.

(continued in next post for reasons of attachment limits)

Nex Necis

Re: Graphics Problem Preventing Licensing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 10:19:33 PM »
...cont

I then registered online and tried inserting the license without any better results as seen in the attachments...
I tried pasting the license in the defunct window and hitting enter key since mouse clicks aren't registered but that was a dead end as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:21:45 PM by Nex Necis »

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
and you don't get any graphic corruption with any other application?

Nex Necis

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 10:26:54 PM »
correct.

Most of Avast! seems intact besides some of the popups.

I could go through and see which popups do for sure.

Is it a java thing? would updating java help?

(EDIT: I foolishly neglected to post my setup)

Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.545 on W2K SP4
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:36:01 PM by Nex Necis »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »
correct.

Most of Avast! seems intact besides some of the popups.

I could go through and see which popups do for sure.

Is it a java thing? would updating java help?

I meant other apps but never mind...well if your java isn't up to date it wouldn't hurt to update it, for security concerns. But this can't be the issue with Avast UI, as I don't think it uses Java at all (I may be wrong, a dev could confirm or not)...it uses FlashPlayer in some parts, not the one to register.
 What's your operating system...you're saying java is outdated, how about the rest, your graphics drivers, Windows etc...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:46:29 PM by Logos »

Nex Necis

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 05:36:08 AM »
sorry, I should have separated my thoughts better.  I did mean correct for other apps besides Avast! (my brain is out to destroy me).

I have been meaning to update java and will do so just in case.

Maybe I'll check if I have up to date flash if that's what runs in Avast!

I edited my previous post with some system info (which should have been in my first post).  Realistically my whole system is out of date however, my graphics drivers are up to date although it wouldn't hurt to check again.  I'm running windows 2000 with SP4 and Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.545.  I have seen rendering issues when a program freezes and takes all of my resources but this isn't like that.  My computer is still responsive during the graphics issue, in fact, I made the previous attachments in Corel PhotoPaint 10 while the glitch was up in the Avast! console.

I hesitate to give all of my system info because of all the ROFL that will ensue but here goes...

Dell Dimension XPS B733r (approx. 10 years old) Pentium III 733 Coppermine
ASUS AGP-V6800 DDR SGRAM w/ ASUStek Driver v6.49 (have to be picky with these drivers, latest isn't always greatest)
Various other odds and ends that should be inconsequential.   It is old but it out performs newer PCs in my house. (I have half of my parts for a new one)

I will update everything that I can and see if that does anything.

Thanks for your replies.

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:53:30 AM »
hi,

could you try to open the settings window?
probably we have a problem with windows that have transparancy under win2K

thanks,
Yonatan

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
<snip>
Maybe I'll check if I have up to date flash if that's what runs in Avast!

I edited my previous post with some system info (which should have been in my first post).  Realistically my whole system is out of date however, my graphics drivers are up to date although it wouldn't hurt to check again.  I'm running windows 2000 with SP4 and Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.545.  I have seen rendering issues when a program freezes and takes all of my resources but this isn't like that.  My computer is still responsive during the graphics issue, in fact, I made the previous attachments in Corel PhotoPaint 10 while the glitch was up in the Avast! console.
<snip>
Thanks for your replies.

Check out these as I don't know if either might have an impact.

- Win2k and avast 5.0 see:
Please make sure you have the Update Rollup 1 installed (it's required for avast! 5):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B54730CF-8850-4531-B52B-BF28B324C662&displaylang=en

- avast! 5.0 & win2000 missing file, MSVCR90.dll, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55660.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nex Necis

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
hi,

could you try to open the settings window?
probably we have a problem with windows that have transparancy under win2K

thanks,
Yonatan

Yes, I am able to open the settings window. In fact the first thing I did was check every available setting in Avast!.  I think you're right about it being the transparent windows that cause the problem.  Thanks Yonatan.

Areas in Avast! that manifest the graphics glitch
    • Password Protect Window - I can see it clearly but not interact with the mouse. I can use the keyboard.
    • Game Mode Button - "turn on" on the current status page. After pressing it the popup is unreadable.
    • Register Now - anywhere it says "register now" the first window is completely intact and any after are unreadable and unusable
    • Insert the license key - on the registration page. Ensuing popup is mostly unreadable and unusable.
    • Stop Button - all of the realtime shield pages the stop button popup is unreadable and unusable.
    • Virus Chest - page shows no entries although several pups were sent to the chest. (Perhaps Unrelated to this issue)
    I believe that I checked every possibility.

I updated java with no change manifested.

Apparently Avast! thinks that I don't have adobe flash installed at all.  Checking on adobe's website using FireFox it shows that I have
    flash version "WIN 10,0,32,18".

Check out these as I don't know if either might have an impact.

- Win2k and avast 5.0 see:
    Please make sure you have the Update Rollup 1 installed (it's required for avast! 5):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B54730CF-8850-4531-B52B-BF28B324C662&displaylang=en

- avast! 5.0 & win2000 missing file, MSVCR90.dll, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55660.0.

Thank you DavidR.  I will check those.  It's amazing that I can spend hours searching and miss relevant information.  My search terms must suck!

Nex Necis

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 03:01:56 AM »
    I read those articles and downloaded and installed the ms rollup update 1 for sp4.  I am pretty sure I already had it, especially since it didn't take as long to install as one might think, because I have automatic updates notify me when there are available updates.

I double checked that MSVCR90.dll was indeed in my system32 folder and it is.

After restarting my computer and opening the Avast! console nothing was different.  Still the exact same graphics glitch.  Worth a shot though. Thanks.

It looks like I have up to date flash in firefox but none in ie.  Perhaps installing flash for ie would let me view the statistics in Avast! and possibly fix the graphics glitch.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Certainly Bot
    • No support PMs thanks
    « Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 03:57:23 AM »
    You're welcome, sorry it didn't work.

Yes it would be worth while trying to install flash for IE and see if that works. Though I'm not to hopeful as the images that you posted I don't believe use Flash, only the animates Statistical graphs in the Summary section and the Real-Time Shields use flash. See image, can you see those ?
    Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nex Necis

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 05:02:53 AM »
    b3285.gif - No  (statistics)
    b3286.gif - Yes  (realtime graphs)

All of the realtime graphs work perfectly but all the statistics like b3285.gif show a message that flash must be installed.

Nex Necis

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 06:24:13 AM »
    I installed the most recent flash for ie and rebooted.  Now I can see the statistics graphs o'--O_O--'o
    but it didn't change anything with my graphics glitch, you were right.

I noticed (not surprisingly) that the popup notifications in the system tray are also glitchy.

I'm out of options again...

p.s. As you can see in my screen capture, hxxp does not break the links in those posts. It should probably be wxw instead for those with browsers that linkify text addresses.

randunyogo

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 06:58:54 AM »
    did you try double-clicking the license file? it also works that way.

Nex Necis

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 07:09:27 AM »
    I'm trying to register the free version. According to the email I received I'm supposed to copy/paste the text license key into Avast!  I thought that the files you're talking about were for the paid subscriptions.  I appreciate the idea though.