Author Topic: Graphics Problem Preventing Licensing  (Read 11703 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Graphics Problem Preventing Licensing
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 02:58:48 PM »
Try unchecking the Use special graphics effects in the avast Settings, Basic section, if enabled (I believe they aren't by default).

Going over the topic again, your registration attempts seem to revolve around inserting the registration/license key. Now your second image shows the standard avast pop-up register notification (with the why not upgrade whilst your at it). Presumably this happen when you clicked the Register Now button ?

- Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed including avast 4.8 in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Personally I would suggest a clean reinstall (especially if 4.8 was installed), now you have Flash, etc. and see if that makes any difference.

- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

randunyogo

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
oh, my bad. I didn't know you were taking about the free license

DJ Teac

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
I actually got the exact same problem, but on a Vista system.
Already tryed everything you guys recommendet, even the fresh clean install of avast.
I still didn't find a fix for it, but a workaround.

Copy the license key.
Klick the button to enter the key, now you have that grafical issue, but the form itself still works (you just can't see it)

Try pressing TAB and after that CTRL+V, then press Enter.
Or it was pressing CTRL+V and then TAB and then Enter? I forgot wich way it was sorry, but should be easy to figure out for you :)

Worked for me that way. But still, a real fix would be better.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »
I would say Tab first or the ctrl+v (paste) wouldn't be pasted into the inactive window/field.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nex Necis

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
Try unchecking the Use special graphics effects in the avast Settings, Basic section, if enabled (I believe they aren't by default).
It was enabled by default but disabling that was the first attempt I made to fix the issue.

Going over the topic again, your registration attempts seem to revolve around inserting the registration/license key. Now your second image shows the standard avast pop-up register notification (with the why not upgrade whilst your at it). Presumably this happen when you clicked the Register Now button ?
I believe you might mean the first image I posted, "RegisterNow.gif", but yes I clicked the register now button when I took that series of screenshots. (or maybe you are saying the second frame of the first image?)

- Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed including avast 4.8 in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
I had a comcast version of mcafee installed but comcast switched to norton so I signed up for the mcafee beta program which removes the previous mcafee using a complete removal tool and requires reboot to remove everything and the installs the beta version.  It does this all remotely.  I had issues with the beta, it would not install any components- just the console.  After several clean and reinstall and techwizard runs the mcafee tech was still stumped and not much help.  I figured out that the beta had most likely dropped w2k support completely and so I researched for a better av option which led me here.  The last action I took was using a complete removal tool and rebooting several times before installing Avast!.  Avast! installed perfectly with no errors just the graphics issue.

Personally I would suggest a clean reinstall (especially if 4.8 was installed), now you have Flash, etc. and see if that makes any difference.
It was a clean install with the latest Avast! Free AntiVirus version available. (5.0.545) Perhaps it would make a difference to fresh install now that flash is in place.

- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
out of morbid curiosity, will Avast! remember my settings after removal and reinstall?

oh, my bad. I didn't know you were taking about the free license
It's cool.  I'm open to any ideas.  :)

Copy the license key.
Klick the button to enter the key, now you have that grafical issue, but the form itself still works (you just can't see it)
I believe that is the case.  I cannot read it and the mouse will not interact with it but it should accept keyboard input like the password popup does. (I can see the password popup I believe because the background goes grey)

Try pressing TAB and after that CTRL+V, then press Enter.
Or it was pressing CTRL+V and then TAB and then Enter? I forgot wich way it was sorry, but should be easy to figure out for you :)
thanks.  That sounds like it would work with a few tries.

I would say Tab first or the ctrl+v (paste) wouldn't be pasted into the inactive window/field.
should I bother trying to register the program before un-re-installing Avast!? I should probably wait, right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »
1. Your avast settings won't be remembered when doing a clean reinstall. Try savint

2. It wouldn't hurt to try that option copy the registration key, Tab, Ctrl=V and enter before doing the clean reinstall if it doesn't work. Though I suspect you may have other graphical artefacts in the future. So this avast ini file hack might be worth a try for some similar graphical artefacts in avast 4.8 with a certain firewall.

- Menu, Display Remnants, Log Viewer Remnants, Graphics glitches, etc.
- Edit the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini (this is the XP location may differ for win2k) using Notepad [Common] section, add the following line to the section SunbeltKPFHack=2, save the file, you will be prompted by the avast! Self-defence module if this is OK answer Yes. Whilst this is primarily for Sunbelt or Kerio Personal Firewalls it may well work even if you don't use either of these firewalls. You may need to reboot to have the changes in the avast4.ini file to come into effect.

Nex Necis

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 06:41:42 AM »
Blind registering worked.  It ended up being ctlV tab ent.

I tried the SunbeltKPFHack=2 with no changes after several reboot sequences.  Avast! didn't notify me about someone trying to change the file, I just got a system error something about the file possibly being locked.  So I used NTFS4DOS to copy a changed version into the directory.  It worked well besides not fixing my graphics issue.

Now I suppose that it's on to complete un-re-install.  I think I'll give it one more reboot since I haven't after registering.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »
If you don't use 'notepad' the other editors are only allowed to open it for read permission, so windows would tell you it is write protected/locked, etc. etc. So did you use windows notepad ?

So if you have been able to enter the key, and effectively got round that particular hiccup, what else is wrong ?

If nothing is wrong, leave it and see if you get any graphical artefacts, which hopefully if you manage to set that hack in the avast5.ini file would resolve that.

Nex Necis

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:54 PM »
If you don't use 'notepad' the other editors are only allowed to open it for read permission, so windows would tell you it is write protected/locked, etc. etc. So did you use windows notepad ?
I didn't know that.  I used Notepad2 to edit it.  Good to know for next time.

So if you have been able to enter the key, and effectively got round that particular hiccup, what else is wrong ?
I would say that registering was my most important problem.  The graphic artifacts and lack of accepting mouse input in those particular popups is still manifesting.  It may be that I will have to just live with these issues.  Avast! is usable and working which is more than mcafee was doing and it catches more malware and has more options.

If nothing is wrong, leave it and see if you get any graphical artefacts, which hopefully if you manage to set that hack in the avast5.ini file would resolve that.
The SunbeltKPFHack=2 hack is inplace and the popups are still not rendered correctly and cannot accept mouse input but, c'est la vie.

I wouldn't mind unreinstalling, it will give me an opportunity to go through the settings again and make certain I am familiar with them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:23:32 AM by Nex Necis »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
Given that you also have another topic on the go with a screen saver problem (I don't know if the is the same in win2k), it would probably be best to do a clean reinstall and see if that has any effect on that too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:12:08 PM by DavidR »

YoKenny

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
@ Nex Necis

I see you have more than 20 posts so you could go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice like DavidR avast! a Technical advisor.

Nex Necis

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 01:13:57 AM »
Given that you also have another topic on the go with a screen saver problem (I don't know if the is the same in win2k), it would probably be best to do a clean reinstall and see if that has any effect on that too.
Worth a shot... I'll dl the Avast! remover and try it.

I see you have more than 20 posts so you could go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice like DavidR avast! a Technical advisor.
Thanks... I hadn't noticed that profile option.  I guess I haven't looked lately.

Nex Necis

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »
-uninstalled avast and any other programs that I'm not using and rebooted
-rebooted
-booted into safemode and used the avast5 removal tool
-rebooted
-rebooted and installed avast5.0.545

the same graphical errors persist still.  avast works great though, I just can't see certain options.  I think I'll be able to live with it for now.

Thanks for the help guys.  I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.  Maybe it would fix it if I reinstall w2k and install avast first thing.  (That won't be happening soon)  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »
You're welcome, sorry it wasn't successful. As you say reinstalling w2k isn't a task to undertake lightly as you would have all the SPs and rollup update 1 to reinstall also without any certainty that it would resolve the problem.