Author Topic: PUP...aka potentially unwanted programs  (Read 2883 times)

Hermite15

PUP...aka potentially unwanted programs
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
what is in the scope? rogues? anything else? thanks for providing as much info as possible...input from the devs (and anyone else of course...) welcome here  :)
 Is PUP detection clearly targeting rogues or not? there's been a few reports, from guys reporting a total lack of detection, not just of the rogue setups through the resident shields, but also of the resulting trojans through both resident shields and manual scans...how about heuristics...what's going on? and from what I read it's not just Avast being powerless against rogues...there are a few threads on technet reporting the same with MSE...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: PUP...aka potentially unwanted programs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »
Some tools that can be used for good or evil, depending on whom installed them (and intent) could be termed PUPs. Some software come with data gathering for marketing purposes or delivery of targeted adverts, etc. would most likely come under that category.

Rogue security apps I would say are most certainly NOT PUPs but malware.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

Re: PUP...aka potentially unwanted programs
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:19 AM »
I would have considered rogues unwanted software ;D ...but I might have underestimated the "potentially" bit of the acronym...which may relate to not so clearly defined malicious software...

ps: from the guys who invented the "word" PUP...no rogue mentioned there...
http://www.mcafee.com/us/local_content/white_papers/wp_antispyware_shadesofgray.pdf