Author Topic: Outpost Firewall 7.0 Pro  (Read 5996 times)

PapaSmurf

Outpost Firewall 7.0 Pro
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:32:53 AM »
SO, I thought I would pop this in here, and the story so far...

As I was sitting at my kitchen table having coffee with a friend, (a software securities engineer rep), he notes that I have a free version of Outpost, and would I like the 7.0 Pro version?
Since he was offering this to me at no monetary cost to me..(ok cost me a few beers for a lifetime license),
I said what any reasonable user would have said in that case.."Umm, *BURP*, sure".
Quik as a flash, uninstalled free version completely, (yes I insisted on doing this even though he said not necessary), and he proceeded to ubber up my security with the Pro version. Whoo-Hoo! I thought at first, rebooted my system, registered product, and then started looking at it.
Ok, had to laugh.
First off, I did not notice that much of a difference, (ok a slight menu option improvement), and then I saw why.
During the setup, I had to "qualify" !avast with in outpost to aviod any conflicts according to its' set up.
Ok, I thought that was nice, it wanted to play well on my system.
ROFL
Ok, as it turns out, the !avast FREE version is so good that Outpost PRO version actually had to turn off its' "WEB CONTROL" module to prevent conflicts. A module I might ad that is "unavailable" in its' free version.
So, I am laughing a little as I am writing this, you have to appreciate the irony here.
My free avast is stronger than my Pro firewall. If I had actually paid for the pro version, I probably would be demanding a refund from Outpost. This is what it seemed to me on my system. lol.

Gargamel360

Re: Outpost Firewall 7.0 Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:15:39 AM »
Grrrr....PapaSmurf gets all the good deals.......nice little mushroom village you live in, with faster internet than me and neighbors that offer you paid software for beer ;D

PapaSmurf

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:25:13 AM »
Grrrr....PapaSmurf gets all the good deals.......nice little mushroom village you live in, with faster internet than me and neighbors that offer you paid software for beer ;D
There is always room in my village.  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
There is nothing spectacular here and it is all about compatibility and not having two functions performing the same sort of task, it isn't admitting that avast is better, just that you have that area covered, many people don't.

The compatibility also stretches the the anti-spyware module in Outpost or it did when I updated to Outpost firewall Pro 6.x some time ago. I have always got rid of the additional bells and whistles of Outpost from long, long ago when I used the Outpost version 1.0 free as I already had them covered. I wanted a good firewall that looked after that and not some jack of all trades master of none.

I respect Agnitum in respecting a users installations and in trying to avoid conflict, it gives user choice in how they configure 'their' systems. I paid for an Outpost Firewall Pro many years ago for the same price as an annual/version subscription; a great deal, but I wouldn't be disappointed in not getting what I paid for (a firewall) because it offered you a compatibility option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PapaSmurf

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
There is nothing spectacular here and it is all about compatibility and not having two functions performing the same sort of task, it isn't admitting that avast is better, just that you have that area covered, many people don't.

The compatibility also stretches the the anti-spyware module in Outpost or it did when I updated to Outpost firewall Pro 6.x some time ago. I have always got rid of the additional bells and whistles of Outpost from long, long ago when I used the Outpost version 1.0 free as I already had them covered. I wanted a good firewall that looked after that and not some jack of all trades master of none.

I respect Agnitum in respecting a users installations and in trying to avoid conflict, it gives user choice in how they configure 'their' systems. I paid for an Outpost Firewall Pro many years ago for the same price as an annual/version subscription; a great deal, but I wouldn't be disappointed in not getting what I paid for (a firewall) because it offered you a compatibility option.

Oh, don't get me wrong here, I am not chiding anyone or their systems, and I completely agree with you
about having choices in compatibility.
I like the fact that Outpost was careful enough to detect other software, in fact the set up module went very well.
I was laughing at myself for thinking that I was somehow improving my security when in fact the free version of Outpost worked just fine.
Had this turned out differently, where I had spent the hard money as you did, then I would have been forced to disable my !avast in favor of my new purchase. I can only speak for myself when I say that having to do that would have made me very unhappy.
This kind of relates to a self made principle that I have always tried to follow.
I want my antivirus program to be an antivirus program. I want my firewall to be a firewall. I want the full use out of both without a chance for conflict. I also prefer my anti-spyware to be anti-spyware.
I prefer smaller, system lite programs that are very affective at the task they are named for, rather than having a single bloated program that performs all the functions in just an "OK" manner.
I have yet to see a single program that would take the place of my preferred separate module recipe, but if anyone knows of a program like this let me know. I am always up to trying something I have never tried before.
 ;) ;) ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
You are improving your security over the free version of the firewall even without the other elements.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PapaSmurf

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 05:06:31 PM »
You are improving your security over the free version of the firewall even without the other elements.

Yes, I do have to admit I like going into the advanced view of Outpost.
And just for the record, I do like Outpost. It fits very well on my system.

hayc59

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
SO, I thought I would pop this in here, and the story so far...

As I was sitting at my kitchen table having coffee with a friend, (a software securities engineer rep), he notes that I have a free version of Outpost, and would I like the 7.0 Pro version?
Since he was offering this to me at no monetary cost to me..(ok cost me a few beers for a lifetime license),
I said what any reasonable user would have said in that case.."Umm, *BURP*, sure".
Quik as a flash, uninstalled free version completely, (yes I insisted on doing this even though he said not necessary), and he proceeded to ubber up my security with the Pro version. Whoo-Hoo! I thought at first, rebooted my system, registered product, and then started looking at it.
Ok, had to laugh.
First off, I did not notice that much of a difference, (ok a slight menu option improvement), and then I saw why.
During the setup, I had to "qualify" !avast with in outpost to aviod any conflicts according to its' set up.
Ok, I thought that was nice, it wanted to play well on my system.
ROFL
Ok, as it turns out, the !avast FREE version is so good that Outpost PRO version actually had to turn off its' "WEB CONTROL" module to prevent conflicts. A module I might ad that is "unavailable" in its' free version.
So, I am laughing a little as I am writing this, you have to appreciate the irony here.
My free avast is stronger than my Pro firewall. If I had actually paid for the pro version, I probably would be demanding a refund from Outpost. This is what it seemed to me on my system. lol.
This should do the thrick! ;)
http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188361#post188361

PapaSmurf

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 11:39:54 PM »
This should do the thrick! ;)
http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188361#post188361

Ty for that, I did read their forum on this, but I have decided to "leave well enough alone".
My security seems to work just fine, Outpost doing its' job blocking instances of garbage, and avast
doing its job of scanning my garbage and making sure that I am virus free.
But just in case, I have copied instructions for the machine.ini workaround. :)

hayc59

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 02:35:28 AM »
PapaS, you are very welcome