Author Topic: Another Firefox/Avast issue?  (Read 9864 times)

nestamon

Another Firefox/Avast issue?
« on: May 30, 2010, 05:08:36 AM »
I'm running Firefox 3.6.3 and I recently had my Macafee subscription run out.  I uninstalled it and used the removal tools to be sure.  I've installed Avast Free 5.0.545 and I really like it so far....except the fact that it freezes up Firefox every 10 seconds or so.  I tried stopping the web shield and rebooting, but it still happens.  There are no freezing issues when running IE, so the problem is definately with Firefox.  From browsing the web and these forums, there seems to be some issues between Firefox and Avast, but I didn't see my particular problem.  Any ideas?  Or should I just try another AV product?  I love me some Firefox, so I won't be changing browsers anytime soon.

Nex Necis

Re: Another Firefox/Avast issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:21:18 AM »
I use Firefox 3.6.3 strictly as well and have had no problem with Firefox running it with Avast!

All though I am on w2k and I doubt many others are.  What OS are you using?

I just converted from mcafee the same way as you did also.

nestamon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:40:35 AM »
Running XP Pro SP3.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 05:48:36 AM »
Near same thing here also, ex McAfee, currently Avast!, Firefox is my main browser, I have no problems with it.

Nex Necis

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
Near same thing here also, ex McAfee, currently Avast!, Firefox is my main browser, I have no problems with it.
Do you have XP SP3 like nestamon?

Nestamon, if the problem is Firefox for you and our firefox's work fine perhaps it is an extension in Firefox that is conflicting somehow. What extensions do you have installed in Firefox?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
Do you have XP SP3 like nestamon?

I have it, works very well..!!
Anyways it would be a god idea to check the plugins/add-ons...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JSN

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 12:36:24 PM »
Hi I am also a Firefox and avast! user and they do work together with no problem. Like Asyn, I would suggest you disable all add-on/plug-in and enable them one by one, seeing whether there is any culprit of them.

scout321x

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
Another great FF 3.6.3/Avast! 5.0.545 installation. Three actually: my desktop XP Pro SP3, my netbook XP Pro SP3 and a buddy's netbook XP Home SP3 that I do the support on.

I agree starting FF without any addons is a good idea. A simple way to do that is to look in your Start/Programs menu for FF. There should be an entry for "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)".This will start FF in a "no addons" mode.

If everything works then you will know it is an addon that is the culprit. Then you can disable them one at a time to see which one is is the cause.

bo.elam

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
nestamon if disabling addons don't do nothing to make FF better, then
if I was you I would do a clean install of Firefox. My system is same as
yours and FF and Avast work real well together so probably if you do the
clean install of the browser then you will be OK.
Bo

Nex Necis

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »
I agree starting FF without any addons is a good idea. A simple way to do that is to look in your Start/Programs menu for FF. There should be an entry for "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)".This will start FF in a "no addons" mode.
If safemode isn't listed I know that there is a way to run it from the command line but I can't remember how.  It would say in the Firefox help menu probably.

scout321x

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:22:31 AM »
Firefox "safe mode" explanation at Mozilla Support: Click Here

tinytim101

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »
I kept having a problem with Firefox crashing.   Using the task manager in Win Xp sp3 I noticed the firefox application kept getting bigger until it reached about 2 million megs then crashed.   Somebody from the firefox forum told me to disable addons in firefox one by one and see if that finds the problem.   I forgot to mention I first installed the firefox addon called Leakmonitor which tells you if there is a memory leak.   After installing Leakmonitor it kept popping up constantly about memory leaks.

Anyways after disabling several addons one by one...I thought I would try disabling Avast Free Edition to see what would happen...it solved the problem.  So obviously the problem is not Firefox but Avast.  I have the latest addons available and all the latest updated drivers for my computer.  I use Win xp sp3.

Sparxx

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
Try to update your  avast version , as the latest version of avast is 5.0.594 .

tinytim101

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 12:00:31 AM »
I have the latest addons available and all the latest updated drivers for my computer.

I assumed that meant everything.  So I already have been using 5.0.594.

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
Anyways after disabling several add-ons one by one...I thought I would try disabling Avast Free Edition to see what would happen...it solved the problem.  So obviously the problem is not Firefox but Avast.
You cannot disable Avast to actually check for this problem; you would actually have to uninstall Avast since the Avast drivers are still installed on your machine.  So your test really wasn't valid. 

Did disabling the add-on's one-by-one resolve the problem?  You mentioned that disabling your FF add-on's one-by-one only identified one add-on as being an issue. 

I agree with a poster above that a clean install of FF 3.6.8 is your best option, esp. if trying FF Safe Mode gave you no results.  Upon reboot, FF does an add-on compatibility test...it's rather quick, so keep your eyes on the monitor.

Do you have any other security software on your machine (current or previously) including AV and firewall (FW)?  You mentioned that you now have Avast Free 5.0.594.  What this an upgrade or a clean install?  Please also give me your OS (32 or 64 bit).  Perhaps I can identify if something is conflicting with Avast.