Author Topic: delaying avast 5.0.545 from updating on startup?,100% cpu pc locked out help!  (Read 5765 times)

Southern Man

Hi,

Is there a way to delay/postpone avast free version 5.0.545 program from updating as the pc is starting up?,it is causing a 100% cpu usage and is slowing my pc down to such a point it is unsuable for about 3-5 minutes nothing opens pc is basically locked,never had this problem with version 4.8,i am getting now a bit fed up with it!.
 I have windows XP,SP3,i have disabled all unescessay ssssstartup programs in msconfig,only have spyware terminator running as antispware shield and threatfire in the taskbar,malwarebytes and superantispyware on demand only,comodo free firewall only,i have defragged the pc,used crap cleaner to clean out everything,do not know what to do nexe,apprecaite some help here!,i have been a long user and suppoerter of avast,thanks.

southern man

Hermite15

may be... that's in the main options >>> see screen shot, assuming  if service start is delayed, update will be too. But nothing's certain though, as I believe Avast has the ability to update already before you log in to Windows...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:17:15 PM by Logos »

YoKenny

I upgraded my XP Pro system to 1.5GB to help alleviate start up problems.

Are you using XP Pro or Home and how much RAM does the system have ???

Southern Man

I upgraded my XP Pro system to 1.5GB to help alleviate start up problems.

Are you using XP Pro or Home and how much RAM does the system have ???

I have 2 GB RAM,using xp home

southern man

Southern Man

may be... that's in the main options >>> see screen shot, assuming  if service start is delayed, update will be too. But nothing's certain though, as I believe Avast has the ability to update already before you log in to Windows...

ok i have ticked the box in avast options to let load other services first before avast to start up,will try this out.

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That doesn't delay the auto update check, this does:
You need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

this will impact the auto-update frequency, I don't think this will change anything to the OP's booting problem, as again, Avast is already checking for updates when booting, and has also the ability to update while booting.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It doesn't impact on the auto update frequency which is related to the duration between the last update check and the next check being due.

It doesn't change the update frequency for me and it certainly does work (for many that have used it) as that rule being in the avast5.ini file instructions would be obeyed even at such an early stage, that is the whole opint of the .ini files.

Lets just see what the OP finds.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Southern Man

That doesn't delay the auto update check, this does:
You need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.

Thanks for that edit of avast- i have done exacrly that i wil let you know if improvement found!

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome, me I would have rebooted right away to see if it does the job or if you might need to extent the delay duration ;D

Southern Man

You're welcome, me I would have rebooted right away to see if it does the job or if you might need to extent the delay duration ;D

Seems to be a litte bit quicker,i think i'll extend from 120 to 180 and see if better,let you know.

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome, personally I would extent it further, but 180 should be enough so as not to happen whilst your system is still busy after boot.