Author Topic: Is avast free antivirus enough  (Read 20670 times)

Jowin

Is avast free antivirus enough
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
Hello,
        I have been using avast 5 for quite some time and my PC got infected many times especially with spyware Is the avast inbuilt antispyware enough or should we use another antispyware software with it?

Gargamel360

Re: Is avast free antivirus enough
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:29:13 AM »
I would want more, yes.

I use more, in fact, but only Windows Defender.  I find that adequate, but my surf habits are less risky than some.

More potent options are Malwarebytes Pro, and Superantispyware Pro, often recommended here, but both are pay programs for active defense.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
I also use Avast free, as do many other users.  But the important thing to remember is to use the Internet safely and to layer your protection.  By layering, I mean to not only rely upon your AV (or any AV for that matter), but to also have a firewall, an on-demand anti-malware scanner(s), and depending on the browser you use some protective plug-in's. 

For example FF offers some plug-in's that you will see in my signature as well as some others.  Take a look at people's signatures to get an idea of what kind of layering I am referring to.  If you have questions about something, please feel free to ask.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:32 AM »
No security program have 100% detection. I would get Malwarebytes PRO as an extra scanner
the pro have IP block and will block you from entering IP addresses that is listed bad
It is a one time fee for a liftime license

www.malwarebytes.org  
www.forum.malwarebytes.org

EntitY

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
Malwarebytes Pro is the way to go, if you want to pay. I use to get spyware when using IE and when I switched to SRWare Iron and added Fanboy's Adblock List no more spyware, so a quality web browser is also as important as anti virus, etc.

cvsa

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:14:42 AM »
if you use avast free, you can also use Comodo internet security , installing only the firewall and not the AV.

CIS has a great HIPS (Defense +) module that can help in term of prevention.  8)

Jowin

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
Malwarebytes Pro is the way to go, if you want to pay. I use to get spyware when using IE and when I switched to SRWare Iron and added Fanboy's Adblock List no more spyware, so a quality web browser is also as important as anti virus, etc.
What is SRware iron is it a browser?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:30:57 PM »
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 04:01:44 PM »
Hello,
        I have been using avast 5 for quite some time and my PC got infected many times especially with spyware Is the avast inbuilt antispyware enough or should we use another antispyware software with it?

What would be helpful is a) what was detected, malware name, file name and location and b) what actually detected it.

Then I would also suggest testing the actual samples:
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page.

~~~
Otherwise all we are able to do is speculate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

robinb

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
actually I use Superantispyware pro with Avast, it works well side by side as long as you set each one to do scans separately and at least a 3 hour interval between them.  You can get the free version but then you need to do manual scans and you cannot schedule the times nor is it watching over your computer in "real time"
robin

garrett

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
I think Avast! is enough if you have a fully patched system, windows firewall and uac enabled. In those conditions, the only way to get infected is deliberately running a suspicious file which isn't digitally signed by a legitimate vendor, such as a rogue antivirus, or inserting a usb drive already infected (admitted that the virus is not yet in avast database). Then you can use free programs like Mbam or superantispyware just for an on-demand scanner.

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
I haven't gotten any spyware in ages. I used to use Norton Internet Security, then got tired of paying so switched to Comodo Internet Security, then got tired of dealing with HIPS alerts for everything I tried to use. Now I run just the Firewall part of Comodo with the HIPS disabled and Avast! 5 free. I still don't get any spyware as confirmed by periodic on demand scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I don't think you need the paid versions of anything and it's never a good idea to have more than one scanner set to run in real time.

robinb

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
I haven't gotten any spyware in ages. I used to use Norton Internet Security, then got tired of paying so switched to Comodo Internet Security, then got tired of dealing with HIPS alerts for everything I tried to use. Now I run just the Firewall part of Comodo with the HIPS disabled and Avast! 5 free. I still don't get any spyware as confirmed by periodic on demand scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I don't think you need the paid versions of anything and it's never a good idea to have more than one scanner set to run in real time.

well you have been lucky but you would not believe the machines i have worked on that had only an antivirus program and nothing else but built in firewall, how much spyware they had on their computers. You need something to backup the AV.  Again as long as you do not set them to run at the same time you should not have a problem.  I have been using superantispyware pro for 5 yrs now with no issues with any antivirus programs out there and on their website they will tell you it doesn't conflict with any AV programs.  I feel you need the extra protection because there is so much spyware out there in cyber land you need a backup.
I do not think you should go crazy and put a bunch on- that would be overikill but one AV and one Antispyware program and using the built in firewall is enough.
Unfortunately i cannot show you here my signature yet until I believe i have 20 posts but i will tell you I have 7 computers and have over 100 current clients to date and all of them run a AV and Superantispyware Pro with no issues at all.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:32:57 PM by robinb »

PapaSmurf

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 07:36:28 PM »
The best protection recipe is a layered approach.
There are MANY fine software suggestions above,
and a good browser choice can go a long way in helping to
keep you clean. I use FireFox, still others may use Chrome or something else.
Like most FF users, I too have plug in protection. :)

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
well you have been lucky but you would not believe the machines i have worked on that had only an antivirus program and nothing else but built in firewall, how much spyware they had on their computers. You need something to backup the AV.  Again as long as you do not set them to run at the same time you should not have a problem.  I have been using superantispyware pro for 5 yrs now with no issues with any antivirus programs out there and on their website they will tell you it doesn't conflict with any AV programs.  I feel you need the extra protection because there is so much spyware out there in cyber land you need a backup.
I do not think you should go crazy and put a bunch on- that would be overikill but one AV and one Antispyware program and using the built in firewall is enough.
Unfortunately i cannot show you here my signature yet until I believe i have 20 posts but i will tell you I have 7 computers and have over 100 current clients to date and all of them run a AV and Superantispyware Pro with no issues at all.
So are you saying you run the real time scanning of SAS and an AV together? From what you posted, I get the impression that you are saying you don't let them do scheduled scans at the same time but don't really say how you handle the real time scanning that scans every file on access. I have always read that you never want more than one real time scanner running.

I also don't know if you're aware of the fact that when you do a manual (and most likely a scheduled) scan with SAS, your AV is also scanning every file at the same time unless you turn it off. I have confirmed this by getting a detection from Comodo's AV while doing a manual scan with SAS which did not detect the same file as bad. The AV detection turned out to be a FP but it still shows that they do run at the same time during manual scans. The same thing happens with a manual scan by MBAM and suggests to me that the same behavior would occur in real time scanning by the paid versions of MBAM and SAS. I have never seen anyone recommend or even say it's okay to have more than one real time scanner running. It's always stated that this can cause conflicts and slow down the system.