Author Topic: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??  (Read 69600 times)

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 05:52:58 AM »
No AD'S in mine.
Me neither (PRO)
printed on 100% recycled bytes

zfactor

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:04:55 AM »
so how the heck do i get rid of this garbage?? is there even a way??? if i can not get rid of ads im gone and will find another av

EDIT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO ADD 127.0.0.1 program.avast.com TO MY HOST FILE TO GET RID OF THIS CRAP???

btw this is their web site...  http://www.iyogi.net/virus-removal.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:11:35 AM by zfactor »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 06:37:17 AM »
No ads here either (yet..).

When I first saw zfactor's post at Wilders, I thought he'd posted in Sanskrit! (see image)

The problem with this kind of promotion is that it's not targeted.
I too am using AIS commercially. I don't need 3rd party support - I am the support.
I wouldn't really have a problem if an ad like this appeared but I fully understand that some people do/would,
and that makes any such 'scattergun' marketing tool unwise and unacceptable.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

steckler

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 07:17:49 AM »
Hello folks. Many of you know me, if you don't I am the Avast CEO. Thanks for all the feedback and reactions. This is a trial of providing free phone support to paid users. It is a short term trial to gauge the usefulness of the support and the community reaction.Please do give us your comments. We have noticed lately that we have more and more new users that need help in installation, removing viruses, etc. And we did not have the capability of providing telephone support for them. It is not an advertisement or a way of us making money.

The business model is that iYogi handles calls from avast customers for free--to help them with installation, product issues, removing viruses, etc. After helping the customer, iYogi does offer to sell the customer a service contract for complete PC and home electronics support.

Please feel free to give me any feedback you have--positive and negative.  The more detailed the better.  you can leave it here on the forum or email me directly to steckler at avast.com.  Thanks much
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:54:03 AM by steckler »

crofty59

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
Hello folks. Many of you know me, if you don't I am the Avast CEO. Thanks for all the feedback and reactions. This is a trial of providing free phone support to paid users. It is a short term trial to gauge the usefulness of the support and the community reaction.Please do give us your comments. We have noticed lately that we have more and more new users that need help in installation, removing viruses, etc. And we did not have the capability of providing telephone support for them. It is not an advertisement or a way of us making money. Please feel free to give me any feedback you have--positive and negative.  The more detailed the better.  you can leave it here on the forum or email me directly to steckler at avast.com.  Thanks much

Hi steckler  (Boss) ;D

This may be helpful and is worth considering, even with the ad. If the above was implemented would all paid users have access or would it just be to selected countries.
I have not received any ads yet.

Cheers :)

Tezzer

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
Hi crofty59
I am also in Australia and receiving the iyogi ads on my summary, current status page.
We don't need things like this when we pay good money for a program which is supposed to be advert free.
Tezzer   :o

crofty59

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
Hi crofty59
I am also in Australia and receiving the iyogi ads on my summary, current status page.
We don't need things like this when we pay good money for a program which is supposed to be advert free.
Tezzer   :o

Hi Tezzer

Cheers at least now i know Australia is on the list.

crofty59 :)

zfactor

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
i DO NOT WANT ADS! if this is your direction ill be switching i PAID for a av to not have ads or i would use the free version with a firewall.. this is VERY dissapointing to me

Offline Soure73

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »
 According to Avast's CEO this Ad is only a trial and is for FREE PHONE SUPPORT for paid versions os Avast, i really don't think this is a problem but that's just my opinion ::)
HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit

PapaSmurf

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
I am very disappointed with avast right now....
It sounds all nice with the "free" phone support
thing, (that really is not free if you have to listen to a sales pitch),
and it seems they can take time to INSERT a freakin ad into the updates
yet they cannot INSERT a freakin fix to some of the problems people are having.
Now, I have been very patient...but even my patience has limits.
If the techs at avast are reading this...you guys need to get on the damn stick
and start servicing the public. I do not mind helping when I can, but YOU need
to participate.
My two cents.... >:(

De Hollander

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »
Hello folks. Many of you know me, if you don't I am the Avast CEO. Thanks for all the feedback and reactions. This is a trial of providing free phone support to paid users. It is a short term trial to gauge the usefulness of the support and the community reaction.Please do give us your comments. We have noticed lately that we have more and more new users that need help in installation, removing viruses, etc. And we did not have the capability of providing telephone support for them. It is not an advertisement or a way of us making money.

The business model is that iYogi handles calls from avast customers for free--to help them with installation, product issues, removing viruses, etc. After helping the customer, iYogi does offer to sell the customer a service contract for complete PC and home electronics support.

Please feel free to give me any feedback you have--positive and negative.  The more detailed the better.  you can leave it here on the forum or email me directly to steckler at avast.com.  Thanks much

Feedback.

"It is not an advertisement or a way of us making money". 

No??  If Avast wants to safe money by outsourcing, and by doing so, making more revenue in the end, fine. But if that means at the expense that I have to look at an avertisement every time I open the GUI, its goodbye from this paid multiple license user. If I wanted a avertisement I good have taken the free version.

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:30 PM »
I just found out when opening Avast UI, was gonna start a new thread, not needed obviously >>> I deeply disagree with the procedure >>> that's adware, sponsorware, whatever you wanna call it, no such thing should be present on the pro/AIS versions. Absolutely unacceptable guys.

>>> blocking Avast UI should get rid of that, no problem for the "free" version, but that's an issue on AIS as network utilities need avastUI to connect...

and here's a link to the sponsor's site:
http://www.iyogi.net/

Hermite15

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 12:34:22 PM »
+ see what's advertised, see how the girl is supposed to look like in AvastUI, and how she really is on iYogi's site, I'm really disappointed ;D

ps: the UI pic is really trying to fool the user :D >>> malwaretising this is ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:38:40 PM by Logos »

Hermite15

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 12:50:18 PM »
adding, on a more serious note, if that's the answer Avast can give to address the lack of support issue for paying and non-paying customers through ticket submission, that's a bit pathetic ::) ...people requesting support need to get it from Avast, from Avast technicians, and no one else, period. If you can't provide it say the software, paid as non-paid, has no support, but don't be misleading by orientating users to a third party solution selling services. That's obnoxious.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
+ see what's advertised, see how the girl is supposed to look like in AvastUI, and how she really is on iYogi's site, I'm really disappointed ;D

ps: the UI pic is really trying to fool the user :D >>> malwaretising this is ;D

How exactly is it trying to fool the user?
By having the face of someone who has written a testimonial?

I think rather than discuss the ad, which we know is not popular, I'd say time is better spent discussing the idea of the support being provided by another company...and how you would feel about that.

Just my thoughts...

-Scott-