Author Topic: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??  (Read 69596 times)

Hermite15

Re: c'mon NEW AD IN PAID VERSIONS????? what the heck??
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »

Just my thoughts...

-Scott-

try to think harder, I posted 3 times above your post, and the second post, the one you're quoting, was a joke, but you missed that, right? ;D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
Well, no one really knows with you... ::)

At least you were serious with the last post for a change...and my thoughts were about the last part of my post, not my reference to your post...

Hermite15

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
Well, no one really knows with you... ::)

At least you were serious with the last post for a change...and my thoughts were about the last part of my post, not my reference to your post...

what are you talking about...read, and then talk...if you got something to say ::)

ps: again, you failed to understand what was obviousuly a joke, and you're trying to justify it by a ridiculous "Well, no one really knows with you... ::) " ...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:14:59 PM by Logos »

PapaSmurf

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »

How exactly is it trying to fool the user?
By having the face of someone who has written a testimonial?

I think rather than discuss the ad, which we know is not popular, I'd say time is better spent discussing the idea of the support being provided by another company...and how you would feel about that.

Just my thoughts...

-Scott-
The idea of OUTSOURCING services for products that claim to have manufacturing support, NO MATTER WHAT THE PRODUCT is misleading, bad business practice, bad for employment, which in turn is bad for whatever economy that business is in.
I am sorry if my opinion seems harsh..but I AM THE PRODUCT of OUTSOURCING. I watched as job sectors that I had been working in for 20 freakin years disappeared because it was cheaper to outsource in a country that had NO worker rights protections in place. The end result was a horrible shift in customer service that NO ONE likes, but because it is so wide spread, people now have to put up with POOR service because that is their only choice.
Avast, if that is the direction you intend to go, I will have NO PROBLEM removing this software from my system.

Rick F

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 03:20:13 PM »
Gee, I was just thinking about upgrading to the 'paid' version with Firewall or IS. Not now.

Just my opinion, but I think using ads IS NOT the way to go.  I know from dealing with McAfee years ago it was a mistake they made which cost them the loss of many customers.  ::)

Hermite15

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »
....not even mentioning that support provided to those in need might be even worse. All these "PC support" "companies" are just there to grab your bucks...they know nothing about computers, they most likely know nothing about Avast products, they will try to teach you how to enter your credit card number if you wanna know more about how to install/uninstall a product, any product ;D

You wanted some feed back on this new initiative? you got it. I haven't decided what I was gonna do yet...with Avast5 IS.

JSN

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
I just switched from Kaspersky IS less than a week. Fortunately at this moment there is no ad yet in my country and zfactor did bring out this noise hopefully can stop steckler from implementing this idea. If avast! sincere in asking opinion, why not a sticky poll getting feedback before implementing this idea ?

PapaSmurf

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
I just switched from Kaspersky IS less than a week. Fortunately at this moment there is no ad yet in my country and zfactor did bring out this noise hopefully can stop steckler from implementing this idea. If avast! sincere in asking opinion, why not a sticky poll getting feedback before implementing this idea ?

Great question. Answer simple:
They are NOT interested in feedback since they have ALREADY
implemented the outsourced service.
But you are correct...why did they not ask first???????
I am guessing they did not think it important enough.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
I have no problem with Avast serving ads for their own products from their own servers via the AvastUI.  Third party spamming (possibly from third party servers) should be a non-starter, especially from a security company with the excellent reputation.

Does the ads use Adobe Flash, which would add another security issue?  Serving third party ads using Flash is not the same as Flash being used to display the graphs, etc. generated within Avast itself.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

zfactor

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »
i also would have no issues if this was a ACTUAL avast ad though i would not prefer that. i paid a LOT of money out to avast (12 pc's for 3 years each) and i LOVE this program and i hope i do not have to switch to another av. i would be very sad to leave avast but i do not support this type of thing. i did not mean to step on toes bringing this out and making it known i was simply a very concerned avast user that loves the program and the type of things avast stood for. please do not implement this as you can see people do not want ads... not in the paid version. offer this to your free users which make up most of your base anyway... or as i said allow us to get rid of it which i would gladly do as long as i dont have to see this everytime i open avast

twl845

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 04:11:43 PM »
Would implimenting ADBLOCK delete the AD on an individual basis?

Hermite15

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
Would implimenting ADBLOCK delete the AD on an individual basis?
::) ;D Avast is not a browser, no extensions yet ;D >>> you can either use the hosts file or block the connection with a firewall.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
But you are correct...why did they not ask first???????

Cause it would be stupid.
Asking "do you want to have a banner in the program"... is pointless, you'd all answer "no" without thinking (i.e. without giving very useful opinion), so why waste the time?

The real question is - does it help a significant number of users (especially those who need help - and maybe are unfamiliar with the forum, for example) - enough to justify the ad? Does this support provide useful / professional help to the users? It will certainly be tested by us as well - but it can't be done unless it's running for real, because that would hardly be a real-life test if they knew it's only us who could be calling.
Is it helpful to have a toll-free number to call for support? There wasn't any before, and there probably won't be any if this is stopped.
Is it helpful to have a phone support in different timezone (or rather 24/7) than just the usual working hours in Europe?
The particular look of the info page is certainly a question as well.
Etc. etc.

I'm not saying I like it particularly either, but there are things to be considered... I find the "Oh God, there's an AD there... it's evil!" approach a bit shalow. (On the other hand, if it reflects the opinion of most/many, it certainly should be considered, I'm not suggesting to ignore it.)
[Just my personal opinion]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:31:18 PM by igor »

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »
OOPS, NOW I have the ad. ??? ??? ???
printed on 100% recycled bytes

zfactor

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »
sucks doesnt it