Author Topic: Any known issues with Outpost Firewall?  (Read 4613 times)

leechanin

Any known issues with Outpost Firewall?
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »
Got here from another forum, where someone recommended Avast. I currently use Avira and also as a firewall Outpost.
I like Outpost bu I also want to try Avast. I went from AVG to Avira, and know, if Avast is better according to the Blog, I want to give it a shot.

I have Outpost Pro 2009, if that matters.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:41:41 PM by leechanin »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Any known issues with Outpost Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »
DavidR one of the evangelist`s have used Outpost pro for a long time, and have not reported any problems
I have testet avast free and Outpost free some time back and had no problem

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:51:49 PM »
I have Outpost firewall Pro 2009 and have no issues with avast. I have been using both Outpost and avast for over 6 years together in various guises and no serious issues.

Outpost Pro may disable certain elements for compatibility, namely the anti-spyware module (as avast has anti-spyware) and also the Web protection, as the avast Web Shield has by far a better level of protection. Me I like a firewall to be just that a firewall and I have always had the other bells and whistles disabled/uninstalled so I on;y have the firewall, attack detection, and host protection elements.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

leechanin

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:57:59 AM »
Thanks guys. So, David, what you are saying is that Avast's Web Shield is a better firewall than Outpost 2009?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:29:32 AM »
No, the Outpost's Web protection is supplemental to the firewall and the avast Web Shield 'isn't a firewall.' The avast web shield monitors http port 80 traffic using a localhost proxy and all content is scanned for malware, exploits, etc. before it is sent to the browser cache so it can be displayed in the browser, etc. Any infection will have the web shield drop that item (abort the connection for it) and it is discarded, effectively it doesn't get into the system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PapaSmurf

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:05:06 AM »
I too run Outpost 7.0 Pro.
The two live well together on my system.
What David has said is true, but a further question for David:
I installed Outpost AFTER I had avast set up. Outpost was able to
recognize avast during its' set up, and took the steps to avoid conflicts.
If avast is set up AFTER outpost, will the reverse be true?

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 07:20:28 AM »
I tried the free Outpost version with Avast! and had problems with total lockups on first access of a program when both Avast! and the HIPS component of Outpost were active. Disabling Avast! and letting Outpost create it's rules for the app in question, then turning Avast! back on eliminated further problems. It only happened with a couple of apps and I think one of them was uTorrent. I don't remember exactly because I had the same problem with PcTools and Online Armor but with different apps having the problem for each one of the three. I don't think Avast! likes to run alongside HIPS, at least not on my system. It's just one of the reasons why I have abandoned using any form of HIPS. I just don't want to deal with it any more.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
I too run Outpost 7.0 Pro.
The two live well together on my system.
What David has said is true, but a further question for David:
I installed Outpost AFTER I had avast set up. Outpost was able to
recognize avast during its' set up, and took the steps to avoid conflicts.
If avast is set up AFTER outpost, will the reverse be true?

First I'm not running the 7.0 version yet (even though I have a lifetime license), I tend to hang back a little and let any little hiccups get sorted.

I can't answer that question on the order of installation, though I have had Outpost in one version or another (from the free outpost 1.0 and purchased a lifetime license on Outpost Pro 3.0) for longer than avast. On this newish system, I installed avast 4.x first then Outpost 5.0-6.0 ish when I did my setup. That obviously detected avast and suggested compatibility mode, disabling the outpost anti-spyware.

I had already personally done a custom install of outpost not to install the functions I didn't want, these decisions were respected when I installed the later Outpost updates.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »
Ty DavidR for the response.
To be honest, I am thinking the reverse would happen as well, but
since I have only done it one way, I do not know..lol.
Maybe one of these days I will try it and see. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
I think Outpost is smart enough to recognise when you install avast (or other such applications) to offer the compatibility mode, it is just that I haven't experienced it in that direction either.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:16:53 PM by DavidR »