Author Topic: Avast 5 File Shield Malwarebytes and Superantispyware Question  (Read 3751 times)

TwoShoes

I am running Avast 5.0.545 with the latest definitions under XP SP3 on a Dell L866r PC.  This morning without any other applications running, I separately ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware scans.  I noticed that the Avast icon was spinning quite often during these scans and brought Avast up to see what it was scanning.  It appears that as one of these applications was scanning certain files that the Avast File Shield was also scanning the same files.  Is this normal???  Seems like it really slowed down the malware scans in the amount of total execution time.  Any comments or recommendations???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5 File Shield Malwarebytes and Superantispyware Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
Of course it is normal, avast is a resident on-access antivirus, so when something accesses a file (depending on the file type and risk), this will force avast to first scan it.

That is the problem with running other security scan, duplication of much of the scan, I generally suggest pausing the file system shield whilst running other security scans. Though my system is fast enough as for the duplication of scanning not to be an issue. However there is the possibility of a conflict if avast alerts on a file that the other scanner is trying to scan as avast locks the file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TwoShoes

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply David.  Is there anyway to exclude these two applications in the file shield?  If not, then I will do the pause as you suggested. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:22:51 PM »
No you can't exclude the applications as they aren't the problem, the MBAM/SAS scans open files so that they may be scanned and you can't exclude all these files.

If your system isn't particularly fast then pause/stop the file system shield for the duration of the other scan (don't forget to start it once the other scan is complete).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »
@ TwoShoes

As DavidR is a 6 star avast! Technical advisor you could Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

TwoShoes

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »
Thanks David, I understand completely what you are saying.  I will do the pause as you suggest.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
You're welcome.

Though pause is an old avast 4.8 term, stop is the option in avast 5.0 and it has several levels of duration, 10 minutes being the shortest and for most this would be enough. This has the advantage if you forget to start it again after 10 minutes it will restart automatically; this isn't something I do if I stop it, I start it, rather than rely on something else to do it for me.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »
One other advantage of explicitly restarting avast coverage yourself when done, as it sounds like David does and as I do, is that if the SAS/MBAM scans take significantly less time than you've set, you'll get your avast protection back immediately rather than having to wait for the time to expire.  This is assuming, of course, you don't forget to restart -- you've got (in ver 5, that is) that tool-tray icon as a reminder.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent