Author Topic: Avast! Pro  (Read 9527 times)

lee16

Avast! Pro
« on: July 18, 2004, 11:19:58 PM »
hi,
I have a 2 computer home network at home and was wondering that if i buy 1 CD with Avast! pro on it, is it legal to use the same cd to put it on both pc's?

--lee

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast! Pro
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 11:29:33 PM »
You could ofcourse have had a look at the Avast website ;)

http://www.avast.com/eng/purchase/pricelists/index.html

lee16

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 11:57:47 PM »
i did look there, but i was cluless, i get confused anless things are quick and to the point, i hink it is saying i will have to buy 2 (don't like that but there you go, life is tough), but i am not 100% sure.

--lee

Outsider

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:04:52 AM »
Hello Lee and Artras, doesn't the EULA licence cover such issues usually?  Isn't the file in the Avast program folder somewhere, or maybe reachable by rightckicking the Avast icon? (Can't check myself as I am testing other AV program at the moment and Avast (temporarely!) uninstalled.. :))

Hope it helps?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:45:10 AM »
Lee, unfortunatelly, one license for each computer...  :-\
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 01:24:48 PM »
ok no problem, ill put it on my pc and scan the downstairs one though the router via Network Neighborhood,  :P  ;D

--lee
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 01:25:29 PM by lee16 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 04:10:55 PM »
It might be a good idea for Alwil to come up with a Family Plan.
There are lots of families that are networked.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

lee16

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 07:05:52 PM »
There are lots of families that are networked.

Thats a very good idea bob

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:56:33 PM »
ok no problem, ill put it on my pc and scan the downstairs one though the router via Network Neighborhood,  :P  ;D

Well, I don't think it will be posible to scan 'non-local' folders through Pro version.
To do this, there is a special avast server version. On the EULA is written:

You may: Install the Software in a single location on a hard disk or other storage device of up to the number of computers indicated in the license agreement. Provided the Software is configured for network use, install and use the Software on a single file server for use on a single local area network for either (but not both) of the following purposes:

1.1 permanent installation onto a hard disk or other storage device of up to the permitted number of computers, or
1.2 use of the Software over such a network, provided the number of different computers on which the Software is used does not exceed the permitted number of computers.

The primary user of each computer on which the Software is installed or used may also install the Software on one home or portable computer. However, the Software may not be used on the secondary computer by another person at the same time the Software on the primacy computer is being used.

Make one backup copy of the Software, provided your backup copy is not installed or used on any computer.

The bold is mine  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 10:59:12 PM »

I read that could be volume discounts, there can be a special holiday discount, etc., maybe it'll be great to combine all discounts and of course the free software will be the best... But Alwil software development is very expensive and there should be great number of paying customers to sponsor it. The price lists are competitive and the price/performance ratio is one of the best in the industry.

Like the official statement by ALWIL Software: Our company understand the tight budgets of non-profit, educational, government and health institutions. We decide to spare them some bucks and there are special discounts for them:

educational & non-profit (charity): 50%
government (including local authority) & heath: 30%
student can receive the educational discount: 50%

8)

lee16

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 11:31:06 PM »
Well, I don't think it will be posible to scan 'non-local' folders through Pro version

I have done it before technical, i open network neibourhood and left clicked the C: on the downstairs pc and clicked scan with avast  :P

--lee

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 08:27:26 AM »
I have done it before technical, i open network neibourhood and left clicked the C: on the downstairs pc and clicked scan with avast  :P

It is perfectly ok - it runs on one computer and scans the shared disks on the other.

I wish only point out that sharing disks (especially for writing) could be dangerous - it could work as general security hole for viruses and hackers. We do not recommend this - the safest way of sharing information between computers is to share single directory...

Hope this helps
Pavel

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 09:32:26 AM »

One remark though: the on-demand scan is OK, but the on-access scan won't work through the network (on WinNT/2000/XP) - so, if you (on the machine where avast! is installed) open an executable from the other computer's shared disk (where avast! is not installed), the file won't be scanned by the resident protection.

lee16

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 11:32:15 AM »
the safest way of sharing information between computers is to share single directory

How do i do this?, is it complicated.

but the on-access scan won't work through the network (on WinNT/2000/XP)

Im using Win98SE, but i will proberly just have to buy 2 avast! pro's then.

--Lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 01:49:21 PM »
the safest way of sharing information between computers is to share single directory
How do i do this?, is it complicated.

Lee, first, sorry for the wrong information about the license scheme. Thanks Pavel for correction.
To share a single folder just do the same you did to share the whole disk...
You should have gone to C:\ (root directory), right click, choose properties or sharing settings... Now you have only to go to an specific directory (not the root) and do the same. This way you will prevent the share the whole disk but just a part of it, a specific folder of your choice  ;)