Author Topic: weird error message after scan  (Read 2975 times)

GAm70

weird error message after scan
« on: June 05, 2010, 06:15:11 AM »
Hi,

Just installed AVAST! and after updating all the definitions I did a full scan.

The result: 5 infected files. The scan results stated: "Error: The operation completed successfully (0)".

What does that mean? If it was a success, why then is it an "error"?

By the way, the "Apply" button at the bottom was grayed out. And it also told me that some files could not be scanned.

I appreciate your help   :)

G.A.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: weird error message after scan
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:36:38 AM »
That does seem a bit strange.
Did you reboot after installing it?
Do you have any other security software installed?
What is your OS, and what was your last AV?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

GAm70

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:01:44 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply  :D

Did I reboot after installing it? Probably not (darn it, I'm usually good about doing it).

I did reboot after uninstalling AVG (free antivirus).

I don't have any other security software running all the time, though once in a while I do a SuperAntiSpyware Professional and a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan -- but I turn them off after the scan.

Afterwards I re-scanned my computer at bootup time and that time it found nothing wrong...

Thanks again!

PS I have Windows XP Professional version 2002, service pack 3.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:08:25 AM by GAm70 »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:14:33 AM »
It might be best to do a full reinstall, but first you could try a reboot, and a repair of your existing installation. This can be done via the control panel>add/remove programs. When you click on Avast and select "change", the option will come up. Try this after rebooting, see how it works. If not, grab yourself the uninstall utility from here, and then go to AVG's support site and download the appropriate uninstaller. (probably the 32 bit one in your case.Check your OS. Some XP's are 64bit.)
The AVG tool can be run at any time.
If you need to reinstall Avast, make sue you have the full installer file, then perform the operation while disconnected from the net.
-Uninstall via the control panel. Reboot. If there were any problems with the uninstall, reboot into safe mode. See next step.
-Run the uninstall utility. If there were any problems with the uninstall, this should be run in safe mode. Reboot.
-Install Avast. Reboot.
-Reconnect.
-Some users have found a second reboot helps. I was one of these. Doesn't hurt, may not be necessary.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
It doesn't seem at all strange to me as there is no information to feel strange about.

What is the malware name, the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (malware name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

When the Apply button is greyed out it effectively means there are no relevant options to Apply. Such as if these were detections found in memory, which aren't physical files so you can't send them to the chest for example. So now you see why we need more information to be able to say if this is correct/strange, whatever.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »
The aspect of it that seems strange to me is:
"Error: The operation completed successfully (0)".

What might cause that, DavidR?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:15:17 PM »
I can't speculate as I don't know the circumstances. Personally I don't worry about error 0 as it isn't what I would consider a hard error like, permissions, etc. so I don't generally waste time on it without information you are likely to be chasing your tail.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security