Author Topic: What Happened to my files?  (Read 6128 times)

bojoe

What Happened to my files?
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:26:42 AM »
Can anyone help?
Seriously I have backed up all my picture(JPEG) and Music Files (MP3s) on a Portable harddrive recently as I was re-installing Windows XP.  However Yesterday I ran a complete scan of my Porable Hardrive with Avast Free version and strangly it detected approximatly 16500 threats or so(which is probably the same number of files on the portable hardrive; these were moved to the chest.  Now when I  to access a picture or my MP3 file on my Portable Hardrive, every thing is 52kb and most of them are useless. What Happened?
What did the scan do to my files?  WHenever I try to access a file from my Portable Hard Drive I get this message:Win32:Bamital-T
. I go into the chest and try to restore the files that were moved there but I have the same issues.  These files now seem to have an exe. extension. What happened here this is a strange behavior from an antivrus program.

How can I get back my files as they were?

Help

Hermite15

Re: What Happened to my files?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
hey guys, what's going on ??? I think that's the second post like that since yesterday, another poster complained that most of his files were sent to Chest, another FP disaster on the way ??? seems to affect only XP it seems...so far...

edit: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60431.0
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:17:53 AM by Logos »

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
@ the OP: with which VPS version did that happen?

bojoe

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »
I am using Windows Xp
But how can my files on my portable harddrive be restored?
All my pictures and music are now considered as viruses and they have an .exe extension  plus they are all 52kb.
I really need my files back. Any suggestion.
I rebooted the PC in Windows 7 and also try using the portable harddrive on another PC, but the same wierd issues.
I did not know that an anti-virus program is supposed to turn all your legitimiate files to viruses and then make then unusable.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
okay, I wasn't asking which Windows version but VPS = Avast malware database >>> see screenshot

vargarv

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:07:17 AM »
I have same problem, your files are all hidden

but still in your hard drive

....what can do this....

Joeristoff

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »
Hi,
I,m stuck with the same issue. Got the banital-T virus from a usb stick inserted to my laptop at school. now its on my usb and all the computers at home.
Also all the files are infected on the stick, avast counted 750.
I just had my dad's usb stick so im trying to prevent it from spreading even more.

I read somewhere to destroy the autorun.ini on your stick to prevent it from spreading. So shift deleting that one could do no harm.
I noticed all of the files are doubled and have some kind of hidden copy(probly one of them is always infected) So turn on hidden files.
It seems to me that avast someway prevented the files on my computer to beeing harmed but how do i get this stick clean without loosing all my files.
Avast only has the option deleting them all...
The files are hard work engineering papers and stuff so  :-\.

hoping somebody got help?

Joeri,

Joeristoff

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »
I did an OTL scan, maybe a trained eye can see something there, its a bit long though :)

OTL logfile created on: 8/06/2010 9:57:15 - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.5.3     Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Joeri Goethals\Bureaublad
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 8.0.6001.18702)
Locale: 00000813 | Country: Belgiƫ | Language: NLB | Date Format: d/MM/yyyy

1.013,00 Mb Total Physical Memory | 442,00 Mb Available Physical Memory | 44,00% Memory free
2,00 Gb Paging File | 2,00 Gb Available in Paging File | 79,00% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 1524 3048 [binary data]

bojoe

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:19:57 AM »
Hi,
I,m stuck with the same issue. Got the banital-T virus from a usb stick inserted to my laptop at school. now its on my usb and all the computers at home.
Also all the files are infected on the stick, avast counted 750.
I just had my dad's usb stick so im trying to prevent it from spreading even more.

I read somewhere to destroy the autorun.ini on your stick to prevent it from spreading. So shift deleting that one could do no harm.
I noticed all of the files are doubled and have some kind of hidden copy(probly one of them is always infected) So turn on hidden files.
It seems to me that avast someway prevented the files on my computer to beeing harmed but how do i get this stick clean without loosing all my files.
Avast only has the option deleting them all...
The files are hard work engineering papers and stuff so  :-\.

hoping somebody got help?

Joeri,

gre

The hidden files as you describe them are really the original files with thier original file size. They are not hidden, they are actually greyed out or faded out ; if you click on them you should be able to retreive them. The ones beside them which seem to be the orignal are the infected fileS.  The problem however, is that if you try to plug your thumb drive on another computer you won't see them any at all. You will only see the currupted file.

I am real upset with about this and I can't get any help from avast!!!
AVAST I NEED HELP TO RESTORE MY FILES!!!!! I NEED MY FILES AVAST!!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
bojoe, avast does not delete any file. If any is infected, it sends it to Chest (quarantine).
Unless you manually instructed avast to delete files at first...
The best things in life are free.