Author Topic: Avast! 5 doesn't check my files on RAMDisk and one suggestion  (Read 4007 times)

realnabarl

I just created a RAMDisk on my system by using Gavotte RAMDisk.
The type of RAMDisk I created is RAM Drive: http://tinypic.com/m/af8nsl/2

I find that files launched on it won't be checked by avast :-[
Some files what will be moved to quarantine on normal hard drive won't be alerted by avast! :o

Gavotte RAMDisk: http://www.multiupload.com/5W9VR1XQRL

Avast! 5 free version.

---------------

One suggestion: disable some protections with one click.
Now we can only enable or disable ALL the protections by clicking the right menu of the tray icon.
But I don't want enable p2p and mail and webpage protection. Every time I need to disable them one by one in the main control panel.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:17:36 PM by realnabarl »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! 5 doesn't check my files on RAMDisk and one suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
Well they aren't actually files on the RAM disk just loaded into memory and my assumption is that when you attempt to load them, the original file would be scanned before a copy is uploaded to RAM. However, I could well be wrong about that, you would have to monitor the avastUI, Real-time Shields, File System Shield to see what files are scanned at the time of loading them into the RAM Disk.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

realnabarl

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
Well they aren't actually files on the RAM disk just loaded into memory and my assumption is that when you attempt to load them, the original file would be scanned before a copy is uploaded to RAM. However, I could well be wrong about that, you would have to monitor the avastUI, Real-time Shields, File System Shield to see what files are scanned at the time of loading them into the RAM Disk.
I put an exe file to [C:], and rename it again and again.
Recent scanned file shows avast! scanned it every time when I renaming it.
But when I did the same thing on [R:](RAMDisk), nothing was scanned.
Is this helpful?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »
Well, yes and no, as avast has both a Persistent and Temporary cache.

Files that are scanned and digitally signed (and or) are white-listed have an entry in the persistent cache so that they aren't scanned again unless the file changes.

For other files that are scanned and show clear have an entry in the Temporary cache, so they aren't scanned multiple times if a) the file hasn't changed since the last scan or b) you reboot or c) a new virus definitions update is received.

The idea is to improve performance and cut down on unnecessary scans, so in certain cases if you scan the file a number of times or force it to be scanned, then it may be in one of the caches and it won't be scanned. It is very hard to determine if that is the case or not.

Simply changing a file name doesn't actually change the file, if you checked a files MD5 before and after renaming it, you will see they are identical and avast would see that also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »
realnabarl: there're some known problems between avast and Gavotte RAMDisk at Windows XP platform (do you use this OS, don't you?), see the last post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53301.msg452161#msg452161.

realnabarl

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
Uh, yes, I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
Uh, yes, I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Update your XP to SP3 if you're on a 32bit system..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0