Poll

Register Clener?

Best register cleaner
1 (14.3%)
safest register cleaner
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Can you suggest a safe Register Cleaner?  (Read 14085 times)

majoMo

Re: Can you suggest a safe Register Cleaner?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »
I tested Auslogic Registry Cleaner.

It is a aggressive Registry Cleaner. I can't recommend it!

E.g.: It said: "Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\PCSuiteContactsView\DefaultIcon points to a missing file C. This entry can be removed."
Wrong! "C" exist and it is "C:\"; not a file "C" ... And the file "ContactsView_Nokia.dll" (in Nokia folder) is there...

More: Auslogic is TOO aggressive with "Invalid CLSID" keys!!! E.g.: it says that "Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XCShInfo.PXCThumbProvider.1\CLSID refers to an invalid CLSID {EBD0B8F4-A9A0-41B7-9695-030CD264D9C8}. This entry can be safely deleted." Wrong! "{EBD0B8F4-A9A0-41B7-9695-030CD264D9C8}" belongs to PDF-XChange Viewer!

It seems Auslogic likes to delete empty keys... It isn't a adviced action also!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
More: Auslogic is TOO aggressive with "Invalid CLSID" keys!!!
Fully agree. Sorry to not have mentioned that before. Avoid it.
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:52 AM »
I tested Auslogic Registry Cleaner.

It is a aggressive Registry Cleaner. I can't recommend it!

E.g.: It said: "Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\PCSuiteContactsView\DefaultIcon points to a missing file C. This entry can be removed."
Wrong! "C" exist and it is "C:\"; not a file "C" ... And the file "ContactsView_Nokia.dll" (in Nokia folder) is there...

More: Auslogic is TOO aggressive with "Invalid CLSID" keys!!! E.g.: it says that "Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XCShInfo.PXCThumbProvider.1\CLSID refers to an invalid CLSID {EBD0B8F4-A9A0-41B7-9695-030CD264D9C8}. This entry can be safely deleted." Wrong! "{EBD0B8F4-A9A0-41B7-9695-030CD264D9C8}" belongs to PDF-XChange Viewer!

It seems Auslogic likes to delete empty keys... It isn't a adviced action also!

I totally disagree, if you use it in the standard mode it NEVER deletes anything that isn't completely safe to do so. I've been using it for over a year and I have let it remove whatever it has detected with no problems or even a thought of having to use a backup. In aggressiveness, it is a lot less aggressive than CCleaner as that program finds things after Auslogics has been run. CCleaner also is totally safe though.

I stated that you probably shouldn't run Auslogics in the advanced mode because then it detects a lot more and they even tell you that it may not be safe to let it delete everything it finds in that mode. Only people who can totally decipher the registry should ever use the advanced mode.

I have three registry cleaners installed, Auslogics, CCleaner, and Registry Mechanic 7. I use them every time I uninstall something but not always in the same order. The one that detects the most when run as the first one is CCleaner. After running that, Auslogics rarely finds anything. If I run Auslogics first, CCleaner always finds some more things afterwards and Registry Mechanic only finds references to moved or deleted files, invalid shortcuts,  and entries in applications like 7Zip referring to files that have been extracted with it but that are no longer on the system. All three programs are good and TOTALLY safe. Registry Mechanic also has an option to compact (defragment) the registry and it works very well.

Auslogics is a free safe application as is their excellent free defrag program which I find is the best defragger, bar none.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:27:22 AM by Dch48 »

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 01:55:11 AM »
Can you suggest a safe Register Cleaner?

Thanks

qim
Another vote for Ccleaner but I have never found an unsafe registry cleaner.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 02:59:29 AM »
Auslogic also has a registry defragmentation tool.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 03:16:42 AM »
CCleaner has never done me wrong.

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 05:44:04 AM »
Yes they do but it's not part of the free product. It's a paid program either as a stand alone or as part of their boost speed package.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
Yes they do but it's not part of the free product. It's a paid program either as a stand alone or as part of their boost speed package.
Yeah, you're right. I've thought it was a freeware.
Eusing Free Registry Defrag 1.6 seems to be the alternative.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »
Yes but..I think it isn't free, is it??
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:50:59 PM by Shiw Liang »

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 08:31:46 PM »
Hi :)

I currently use CCleaner but I also had CSC. Many people recommend Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, what do you think ?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
Qim, you've used the correct word: "safe".
The deeper you clean, the most probability of doing s**t...
CCleaner never brought me trouble.
Also, Auslogic Registry Cleaner seems to be safe to run.

Backup your registry with ERUNT before regardless the cleaner you'll use.
I agree, I have found CCleaner and Auslogics to be perfectly safe. In Auslogics there is an advanced cleaning mode that may not always be safe so don't use that, the standard mode is safe. Auslogics does automatic backups, CCleaner asks you if you want to make a backup. Registry Mechanic from PC Tools is another good one but it's not free.

must agree here at 100%
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
what about wise registry cleaner? i think this cleaner is aggresive too, for registry which not safe to delete usually has mark

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »
Hi :)

I currently use CCleaner but I also had CSC. Many people recommend Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, what do you think ?

That's Comodo System Cleaner (CSC) ;) well as along as your very careful with it cause that software can get very very nasty ;D
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »
If you don't insist on freeware (price is quite reasonable, though, somewhere around $25), there's also JV-16 Power Tools from Macecraft which is quite safe in its default mode.  A few years back (2003?) there was a version in which even the default mode was overly aggressive, but versions before and since are safe enough that you can usually safely bend the rules and not bother with backups.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »
what about wise registry cleaner? i think this cleaner is aggresive too, for registry which not safe to delete usually has mark
Yes. Too aggressive. You'll have troubles.