Author Topic: "Blue" vs. "Orange" ball: Cannot activate Avast Pro  (Read 5670 times)

TribeFan144

"Blue" vs. "Orange" ball: Cannot activate Avast Pro
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:04:44 AM »
I re-formatted one of my PC's and installed WinXP Home Edition on it.  In January 2010, I had purchased a 3-user "avast! 4 Professional Edition, 3 years" license.  I have the license key in my e-mail from Avast!

I followed the link in the e-mail I received from Avast! and downloaded/installed the professional edition.  Rebooted my PC and noticed the blue ball is now orange.  Per the e-mail I received from Avast!:

4) After your system has restarted, you will see the blue a-ball icon in
your system tray, near the clock (bottom right-hand side of the screen
in a standard Windows desktop.)

5) Right-click the blue a-ball icon in  your system tray and choose
"About avast!", or in the simple interface choose MENU -> ABOUT AVAST!.

6) Press the "License key" button in lower right corner.

7) Enter the key. (NOTE: if you are unsure when entering number 0 or
letter O, enter rather number 0 (zero)!) The best way to enter the
license key is Cut&Paste method - select entire key in this mail, press
Ctrl-C, switch to avast! registration dialog and press Ctrl-V.

8) Then press OK button and your avast! is registered.

Unfortunately, the version of Avast! Pro that I have won't allow me to do that.  Instead, it's asking me for a license file supposedly on my PC somewhere.

Did I download the right version? If so, what do I need to do to get this version registered on this PC?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Blue" vs. "Orange" ball: Cannot activate Avast Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:11:21 AM »
It is just that the old 4.8 pro license number can't be used with 5.0 pro.

- avast! 5 Pro license convert from 4.8 Pro license. Try http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php now, fill in the form giving your email and 4.8 Pro License key and they will send the new license file to you (presumably it will check you have a legit 4.8 Pro license first).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TribeFan144

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:14:12 AM »
Wonderful!  Will do and thanks for the timely and very helpful reply!

TribeFan144

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:24:06 AM »
I received an e-mail from Avast! and the license came through as an inline attachment.  When I attempt to insert the license file, a search box pops up asking for the location of this file.  How does one save an inline attachment as a file on my PC where I could get it for the Avast! program to recognize it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:47:12 AM »
I received an e-mail from Avast! and the license came through as an inline attachment.
Can't you save the attachment as a file in the computer? Save as?
The best things in life are free.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:43:22 AM »
Hi,

If you want to use version 4.8, click here to download it, your license will work for this. If you want to upgrade to version 5, resend the license like DavidR suggested or, if you have 4.8 already installed, go here to upgrade. Your current remaining license period will be maintained. Simply download and install the new version.