Author Topic: ADNM on Linux?  (Read 6969 times)

zmindless

ADNM on Linux?
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:11:10 AM »
hi,

is there any chance to see ADNM run on Linux?

thanks

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: ADNM on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
Good question, but I haven't seen anything about this yet.   ???

The backend runs on SQL, so even if they created a console for it, you'd still need a MS box to run the database (unless of course there is MSSQL for linux, but I've never seen it).

So, I'd be willing to say that it probably won't happen anytime in the near future.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

zmindless

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:01:31 AM »
MSSQL will not appear on Linux in next 10 years for sure. Not that MS dislikes Linux as a platform but MSSQL is built to use EVERYTHING that windows OS has to offer. Unlike some other databases that have sort of OS apstraction layer.

So I guess it will not happen unless they allow some other database or, as you said, MSSQL on other machine. Of course, my goal is to eliminate MS license so going with ADNM on Linux and MSSQL on some XP box still uses 1 MS license :-(

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
Very true.  I have suggested using a different database for the new version in another thread, but I highly doubt that will happen either.  I'd really like them to use MySQL, which would be good for every server OS, but we can only hope!

Sorry to give you bad news!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

wpn

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »
hi,

is there any chance to see ADNM run on Linux?

thanks

i dont think you would like to try this but you could try ADNM on WINE?  the MSDE installation is included and free so that "Should" work depending if WINE can handle it....

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »
Technically, that SHOULD work.

You'd just have to worry about the overhead in running WINE as well.  If your machine is powerful enough, it might be worth a shot.

Didn't even think about it.

Nice thought wpn.

wpn

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »
instead of bein my usual c*cky b*st*rd self  i will say the next:   thank you scythe :)

there is indeed overhead of running it in WINE, but i do not know what kind of windows api calls are made from ADNM to the database or the database on the WINE system which could potentially crash it.....

if you would go with the WINE sollution i would suggest to test it for at least a month with several clients connecting and every now and then make manual updates (at a client tell it to update i mean with that) to see what happens and what the performance is.....

goodluck if u read this and go for it and let us know

(maybe by the end of the year i will have a virtual test enviroment on blade machines which i can test a lot with :D)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
No prob, and I agree as well.  Definitely test that setup first before really deploying it for production.

And...
(maybe by the end of the year i will have a virtual test enviroment on blade machines which i can test a lot with )

you lucky b*st*rd!

Must be nice to work in a place that has the capital to buy cool stuff to work on!  My churches barely have two pennies to rub together...  ;D

wpn

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
for a moment there i missread the word pennies..... and was thinking something really nasty :S

well its not like we have the capital, and a third party is writting a recommendation right now which might be bad for my wish of blade hardware (making it rack servers, but still with virtualisation)  but by that time we have v5 adnm running too (i hope)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
lol.  yeah, that'd be nasty.

Well, I hope you get your blades, I have a buddy that gets to work on them all the time with ESX and friggin' loves them.

As for this:
but by that time we have v5 adnm running too (i hope)

We can only hope!!  ;)