Author Topic: Which is the better defragger?  (Read 15008 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Which is the better defragger?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »
Auslogics is very fast.

The reason is, Auslogics Disk Defrag defaults to just "defrag", whereas Windows built-in defrag defragments and optimizes files which takes longer.

If you hit the drop down box in auslogics, you have several options, analyze, defrag, or defrag and optimize.

I don't find Auslogic's any faster than windows when using the optimize feature, but I still love it for XP and 2003 systems due to the scheduling abilities that are missing from those operating systems.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
i have used defraggler it defrags fast but dint find much speed difference..i then tried  diskkeeper, awesome, i could really find speed difference b4 and after a week of installing it(due to background auto defrag)..within the trial period i found notable difference.hope u too feel it

http://www.diskeeper.com/trialware/TrialwareProducts.aspx

Auslogics also has a background defrag (for those who haven't found it yet).
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »
Auslogics also has a background defrag (for those who haven't found it yet).

Already knew about the background defrag easy as a small pussy cat ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 11:56:12 PM »
@ Tech,  What happened to your machine?  Mine never looks like that.  Do you have multiple partitions?
Yes, I have. That is only the C drive.
The fragmentation is due to System Restore files... Which I've though will defragmented at boot time, but didn't...
I have found that Auslogics will defragment the system restore files in XP but it doesn't seem to in Vista.

Dch48

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
Auslogics is very fast.

The reason is, Auslogics Disk Defrag defaults to just "defrag", whereas Windows built-in defrag defragments and optimizes files which takes longer.

If you hit the drop down box in auslogics, you have several options, analyze, defrag, or defrag and optimize.

I don't find Auslogic's any faster than windows when using the optimize feature, but I still love it for XP and 2003 systems due to the scheduling abilities that are missing from those operating systems.
That's the beauty of the Auslogics program, you can choose to do just a regular defrag, which is all you need in most cases ( and is extremely fast) , or a full defrag and optimize which probably only needs to be done quarterly at most. Even when running the optimization I find it faster than the XP defrag tool. I really don't like the Vista defragger because it doesn't show you information about the disk like the XP one does. In Auslogics, there are also options for the kind of optimization you want. You can choose to have system files placed at the front of the disk and the latest version will only move those system files that actually have an impact on performance. I personally only use that feature once in a great while since I figure that once moved, the files will stay there. The other times I optimize , I only use the basic optimization which consolidates free space and eliminates most of the gaps on the disk.

mokkaman

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 02:48:59 AM »
I ve used diskkeeper and found notable difference.. try it for a week before tagging it good or bad.. auto defrag option can be turned off , if needed..
the 2010 version comes wit intelliwrite feature which prevents fragmentation before it even occurs, by arranging files while writing files on hard drive / installing programs..

NAMOR

Re: Which is the better defragger ?
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 05:16:01 AM »
I use the one built into windows 7. always keeps the fragmentation to a minimum
without any intervention from me.  :)

ditto.. I have owned/used PerfectDisk, Diskeeper, Ulitmate Defrag, Puran, Defraggler, MyDefrag, Asuslogic... Ended up using the built in one.