Author Topic: Av-Comparative Retrospective/Proactive Test May 2010  (Read 36473 times)

garrett

Re: Av-Comparative Retrospective/Proactive Test May 2010
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »
I'm sure Avast is improving, but you must admit that some other products have already achieved a detection close to 60% (with few false positives). So it's not an impossible goal to reach.

Wizho

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
I think avira free lack of pro active protection.
False, Avira Free has the same scan engines then paid versions.

Were talking here on Pro-active Protection

Please read this

http://www.free-av.de/en/products/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
"AntiVirProActiv detects unknown viruses by behavior" Behavior and heuristics are 2 different thing. Free and paid versions have the same detection rates.

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »
Where is the center of analysis, research and development of the Alwil ?

Avast will once again lose market share if not better.

JerryM

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
It is easier to make excuses than to improve.

And with your statement, you don't think AVAST Software don't want to improve their software?  8) Of course they will improve the software, and for me, Maxx_originals post was not an excuse, but it was just facts :)

I am very sure that Avast does desire to improve. However, in many cases companies find reasons why the tests are flawed instead of their product. While I have not noticed it in this thread, I use what I think gives the best security, and will change to a better one if I decide to.

Avast has performed well in the other AVC tests, but it failed this one, as far as I am concerned, and when I can get an AV that is tops in all areas that is what I seek to do.

I am not a fan boy of any AV, and am interested in results that indicate top protection and not reasons why the test is flawed or an AV did not get a fair test. Again I have not seen this from Avast, but I don't want to either. Accept that it was a poor showing and improve it. I am surprised that MSE, a freebie, did so well.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 12:13:49 AM »
remember that a common scenario is to have an up-to-date antivirus.. i absolutely don't know why we should lose market share in relation to these test results... it only showed that the very early version 5 provided no significant (detection) addition to v4, that's all... and yes, we could find some flaws there (e.g. the low number of script/pdf/flash malware in the set even when a majority of infections comes from web)

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 12:41:29 AM »
remember that a common scenario is to have an up-to-date antivirus.. i absolutely don't know why we should lose market share in relation to these test results... it only showed that the very early version 5 provided no significant (detection) addition to v4, that's all... and yes, we could find some flaws there (e.g. the low number of script/pdf/flash malware in the set even when a majority of infections comes from web)

So then prefering accommodation ...

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »
This is Av-Comparative Retrospective/Proactive Test February 2010, published in June 2010. Or am I missing something ???

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 01:07:07 AM »
So then prefering accommodation ...
Henrique, better is avoid criticism in my opinion.
Everyone recognizes (avast team either) that there are room for improvements.
The best things in life are free.

JerryM

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 02:47:19 AM »
This is Av-Comparative Retrospective/Proactive Test February 2010, published in June 2010. Or am I missing something ???

Greetz, Red.

The previous Retro test was in Nov 09. The Feb 2010 test was an on-demand test. This June test is a new Retro test.

Of all the AVC tests I believe that the Dynamic tests are the most likely to reflect "real world" conditions.
Avast was tied for third, along with MSE, in that last Dynamic test. The June test mentioned today would not cause me to dump Avast in view of previous on-demand and dynamic tests. It remains an excellent AV.

I think that Microsoft has a real winner in MSE. Avast Free and MSE knocked the socks off most of the paid AVs.
I am not sure if there is a clear choice between those two freebies.

Regards,
Jerry

zfactor

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 03:02:18 AM »
i also am dissapointed in these results. however in my daily use of avast i see it detect a lot of things especially drive by's and scripts etc. i have seen WAY more pop ups and blocked items then i ever did with nortons with its pretty over sensitive sonar detection which suprises me. but all in all these tests do sadden me and i sure hope they improve very soon. in the last tests avast did overall very well imo they failed this test for me as well as what jerrym said. i really like avast and so much so i bought a number of lic's just hope it doesnt go downhill from here.

please keep improving the software and forget about things like the ads and stuff till the program performs the best it can imo..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 03:05:28 AM »
C'mon... let's not start to talk about an ad that is not an ad...
The best things in life are free.

zfactor

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 03:13:29 AM »
some of us feel it is.. but thats besides the point. work on the overall detection and program BEFORE trying to start other things like that is what im trying to say. get avast back to the top spots and then worry about the other things later

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 03:56:50 AM »
some of us feel it is.. but thats besides the point. work on the overall detection and program BEFORE trying to start other things like that is what im trying to say. get avast back to the top spots and then worry about the other things later

if its beside the point, dont mention it to begin with...  ::)
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

xqrzd

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 04:44:14 AM »
This thread is in need of something positive. Avast's SuspBehav detection is working, avast was one of the few to detect this nasty dropper:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/09ff417954bb3996fb5d7737f3286eee2eb5e0a97aa7c6ebec2e55edc3df9d8c-1275672649

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 06:00:23 AM »
Guys don't get too much embarrassed. Avast always performed good. See for example the Retrospective/Proactive Test test of Nov 2009 (53%) and May 2009 (42%). All these tests are carried out only with a small subset of the vast malwares. Avast has always been consistent performer. So, one should not be too much upset with this result.
For those who are praising about MSE should know that it failed in the last VB100 award for in-the-wild detection.
And also do not give excuses about the early stages of v5 or so, because all the products were tested at the same point. It's just a coincident. Just tell me how many thread are there in this forum that bash avast for not protecting against virus infection?
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.