Author Topic: Automatic attachment blocking with ZIP files  (Read 4939 times)

ASaucci

Automatic attachment blocking with ZIP files
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
          I'm running Avast! 4.8 Server Edition with the MS Exchange and SMTP plug-ins on an SBS 2003 (with Exchange 2003). I want all EXE, COM, BAT, VBS, etc. files blocked categorically, even if they are embedded in a ZIP or other archive-- I don't even care to scan them. I am able to do this with other server antivirus products. When I tried it with Avast! the scanner allowed a sample VBS file through. Can Avast! do what I want or am I stuck blocking all ZIP files (which users hate)? ZIP files are too dangerous if they can be used to hide malware.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Automatic attachment blocking with ZIP files
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
Is this what you're looking for?

For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

ASaucci

Re: Automatic attachment blocking with ZIP files
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:23:21 AM »
That might do it-- I'll have to try it. Basically, I want VBS files (for example) to be blocked just because they're VBS files, and if they're inside a ZIP file, I want the whole ZIP attachment blocked just because it has a VBS file inside. I don't even care if the VBS has a known malware signature-- I just want VBS blocked period. The same goes for EXE, COM, PIF, and so on. So even my sample harmless VBS file should trigger blocking, even if it's hiding inside a ZIP wrapper.