Author Topic: What are some good HIPS Programs?  (Read 9002 times)

Hermite15

Re: What are some good HIPS Programs?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 03:02:16 PM »
speedy, you're a nice guy but I don't think there's much you can teach me about Comodo Def+, so let's just leave it there because the conversation doesn't interest me.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
Okay Logos no hard feelings ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
The Comodo Firewall has an excellent HIPS component if that's what you want. It's free too. You didn't say whether you wanted it alongside the Avast! AV or the complete suite. Other free Firewalls that employ HIPS are PC Tools, Online Armor, and Outpost.

ZoneAlarm include HIPS feature or not?

no, and PCtools firewall doesn't either. Adding: for some reason (off topic here) I'm running CIS (firewall only) again, and just FYI I disabled the HIPS. HIPS is something you can really live without ;D
PC Tools does use HIPS or a form of it. I also use the Comodo Firewall without the HIPS. I used the full package for about a year and never got any HIPS alerts other than the multitude of ones that were for perfectly safe apps. I just got really tired of dealing with it every time I wanted to install or even uninstall something, not to mention the problems with game updates, and safe applications not being able to call other processes. It also causes problems with Avast! updates now. The sandbox is something I wish they would have never even thought of.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:11:42 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »
never got any HIPS alerts other than the multitude of ones that were for perfectly safe apps. I just got really tired of dealing with it every time I wanted to install or even uninstall something, not to mention the problems with game updates, and safe applications not being able to call other processes.
The major drawbacks of the HIPS technology.
But there are gurus that do not accept this and think HIPS is a panacea.
After all, we all get tired of popups...
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »
After all, we all get tired of popups...
+1