Author Topic: New install of avast free - can't connect to inernet when avast is running  (Read 10872 times)

EvilJack

I am new user and installed 5.0.545 on my Win 7 Pro machine.  It cuts off access to the internet.  I can't find a setting that would be doing this.  If I disable Avaqst I can browse the web again.  What's the deal here?   Thanks for your help....

Mr.Agent

What firewall you use ?
Did you allow avast! to your firewall ?

Give us more further information like if you use proxy or the settings... ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Does your firewall allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ziucqea

I am new user and installed 5.0.545 on my Win 7 Pro machine.  It cuts off access to the internet.  I can't find a setting that would be doing this.  If I disable Avaqst I can browse the web again.  What's the deal here?   Thanks for your help....
Well, this also happened to me when I enabled Web Shield and nothing but diasbling Web Shield could enabling my network again. Now I use file system shield and Network only.
Before doing damage to you and your computer, the tros nd viruses need downloading to you harddisk,which will be detected by file system shield(well, don't tell me you're supposing virsues to stealing your data through your browser-except phishing sites);And as to phishing sites, network shield would do it. Trust me....

Gargamel360

Might be unwise to go without the web shield......although I guess that depends on what you use PC for.
Still, it is one of the things that sets Avast! apart from its competition in the free AV market.

I guess you can ask your AV to fight with one hand tied behind its back......seems unwise, though

SafeSurf

@ EvilJack and ziucqea,

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

No one answered these questions, which is probably the cause of your problem.  You might try answering this so that we can help you resolve the problem and you can be safe(r) on the Internet.

ziucqea

@ EvilJack and ziucqea,

No one answered these questions, which is probably the cause of your problem.  You might try answering this so that we can help you resolve the problem and you can be safe(r) on the Internet.
Well, OK. Since it should be caused by webshields, try this then:(Disbale webshields to check whether it IS caused by it or not)
Settings-Troubleshooting-Redirect Settings-Change "HTTP Ports" to 8080 and see whether the problem has been solved. (But in essence, this actually disables webshields already) Change back to 80 again, then check whether you can open webpages.  IF NOT:
Check whether AvastSvc.exe is blocked by your firewall. Should the rub still exists:
Change the Proxy Server of your browser to: IP:127.0.0.1 Port 12080. If problem adheres.....Re-install....
Eh...if this doesn't help... I think you got to disable your webshield anyway....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:22:13 AM by ziucqea »

SafeSurf

@ ziucqea,

Are you quoting DavidR in your last post that begins with "Well, OK" because I don't see his post in this thread?  Where did you get that quote or was it from a different thread?  If it was from a different thread, then you need to copy/paste the thread and put it into a hyperlink into this thread.  In addition, you have my quote written under DavidR, which is incorrect.

If you are commented on your own in response to this thread, then it should not be written as a quote from another person.  Please edit your post so we know who is writing what.  It is unclear at this point, and I don't even know if you are asking a question.  Thank you.

ziucqea

@ ziucqea,

Are you quoting DavidR in your last post that begins with "Well, OK" because I don't see his post in this thread?  Where did you get that quote or was it from a different thread?  If it was from a different thread, then you need to copy/paste the thread and put it into a hyperlink into this thread.  In addition, you have my quote written under DavidR, which is incorrect.

If you are commented on your own in response to this thread, then it should not be written as a quote from another person.  Please edit your post so we know who is writing what.  It is unclear at this point, and I don't even know if you are asking a question.  Thank you.
I meant to quote from u, but somehow made my own post included in e quotation.
But can't you use your common sense and make a deduction since no blue-colored post has displayed before?

SafeSurf

<snip>
But can't you use your common sense and make a deduction since no blue-colored post has displayed before?
[/quote] <unable to edit actual quote due to prior poster's editing>

Since you are new and wanted to learn more about the forums, I am helping you learn as well.  Since you are keeping up on all the posts you and I have done,  you will notice that in this situation, we still don't have an answer back from the original poster (EvilJack), so we cannot proceed to give him advise until he/she gets back to us.  

Sometimes, when problems are resolved, some posters don't get back to us.  It would be nice to know that their problems are fixed, but this is also something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:56:52 AM by SafeSurf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Well, this also happened to me when I enabled Web Shield and nothing but diasbling Web Shield could enabling my network again. Now I use file system shield and Network only.
Removing WebShield is NOT a good idea. It is such decreasing a very good defense layer in my opinion.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

+1

ziucqea

Removing WebShield is NOT a good idea. It is such decreasing a very good defense layer in my opinion.
The Webshield protects  the computers by checking 'hacked web pages infected with (potential or actual) malicious scripts'(cited from helping center of Avast!)and checking whether the file downloaded is infected.
From here, we can see that since when a file is wirtten, the FileSystem Shield will scan it right away and a virus must be downloaded to your harddisk before doing any damage to your computer, which will be scanned by FileSystem Scan, unabling Webshield would not affect the level of security.
Also, the Networkshield will block phishing websites and 'monitors all network activity and blocks any threats that are detected on the network' (quoted from helping center of avast), the only difference is when the website is blocked-usually, when enabling webshield and network shield concurrently, webshield will block the malwares a wee bit quicker.

Gargamel360

Turning off the WebShield will most certainly effect your level of security.

Especially in an AV made to complement each layer of its defense.

Try to avoid statements to the contrary?
1st do no harm?
Or do nothing at all?

Definitely do not quote from Avast! then inject your own opinion in the middle, then end with another Avast! quote. 

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:23:36 AM by Gargamel360 »

SafeSurf

@ ziucqea, Experienced users have advised you against posting misinformed comments throughout this forum including this thread.  We welcome your feedback, but please remember this is also a learning environment for all of us to share.  Thank you.