Author Topic: New install of avast free - can't connect to inernet when avast is running  (Read 10916 times)

ziucqea

Turning off the WebShield will most certainly effect your level of security.

Especially in an AV made to complement each layer of its defense.

Try to avoid statements to the contrary?
1st do no harm?
Or do nothing at all?

Definitely do not quote from Avast! then inject your own opinion in the middle, then end with another Avast! quote. 

So, on what condition do you think turning on Filesystem Shield and Network Shields only would allow viruses to intrude into the computer?

ziucqea

Removing WebShield is NOT a good idea. It is such decreasing a very good defense layer in my opinion.

@ ziucqea, Experienced users have advised you against posting misinformed comments throughout this forum including this thread.  We welcome your feedback, but please remember this is also a learning environment for all of us to share.  Thank you.

Should there be any 'misleading', what you should do is pointing it out and clearing it, isn't it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The onus has to be on the poster not to give advice that might harm the user or at the very least point out the risk to the user. This is a support forum and you can't rely on someone else pointing out any misleading advice you give as the person you are seeking to help may well have acted on the advice before anyone points out any misleading/possibly harmful advice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Dedicated providers tend to increase the protection without draining the resources.
File Shield does not scan all archived files, for instance. A layered defense could allow better protection (increasing the level of a particular shield) and not using that many resources.
You can use, for instance, P2P and IM at the most thorough scanning level and let file shield on a lower position.
Again, it is NOT a good idea to disable the Web Shield protection.
The best things in life are free.

EvilJack

OK I am the OP.  sorry I left town on business and forgot about this problem on my home PC.  I was still having this issue but upon reading the first two replies I did this:

I previously used Kaspersky Internet Security.  The license ran out and I figured it was not working.  After seeing the first reply I disabled Kaspersky and this did not correct the Avast issue. 

I then uninstalled Kaspersky.  Bingo!  I have Avast running and network/internet access.   ;D

Thanks for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

Previous AVs unless uninstalled can cause all sorts of issues even disabled they still load low level drivers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Yes... two antivirus at the same time should be problematic...
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

Glad everything worked out for you EvilJack.  :)  Feel free to come back to the forum to visit.