Author Topic: Avast! Home Free 5 -- System not secured -- first time  (Read 6890 times)

cromag

Avast! Home Free 5 -- System not secured -- first time
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:18:19 AM »
Hi.  I've been an Avast! free home user for several years and upgraded to Avast! 5 several months ago.  I currently have version 5.0.545.

I had my computer on earlier this afternoon and had no problem.  After I turned it on I got the little notification rectangle in the lower right corner of my screen advising me that the definitions had been updated and everything appeared to go well from the time I booted up until I shut down -- I actually do try to pay attention to these things.

This evening I turned the computer on again.  As Windows XP SP3 booted up I got the orange "a" ball in my system tray, but it had a yellow symbol in it -- I clicked on it and was warned that my system was NOT secured -- this is the first time I have ever experienced this problem.  It looked like all of the sub-systems of Avast were turned off.  I clicked on a button to "Fix Now" and it appears that all systems are working now.

Basically, I'd like to know if I have a problem or anything to be concerned about.  Is it really "Fixed?"

Any idea what might have happened?

Thanks, Kevin

Gargamel360

Re: Avast! Home Free 5 -- System not secured -- first time
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:30:13 AM »

The one time I had to use the fix button worked fine, no issues since.

Might be good to ask what other security programs you have installed or recently removed, though.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:36:09 AM »
Hi cromag,

You will know that the shields are fixed when the icons on the summary page show up green. You can also see if the shields are running by going to the real-time shields tab. I also had this problem when I first installed, but when I clicked the fix now button, it never happened again. If you really want to, you could do a clean reinstall.

Quote from: Tech
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

Also, if you had any previous antivirus, uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and run the product's removal tool. They could conflict with avast. Here's a list of the removal tools.

cromag

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:43:58 AM »
Thanks for the early replies.  No programs of any sort have been added or removed in months.  The last one I "installed" was actually the real-time version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and it seems to have been playing nicely with Avast! for several months.

I've been through the screens and they all show up as running.  I guess I'll keep an extra close eye on it for the next couple of days when I boot up.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:11:18 AM »
Also make sure your definition updates are working correctly.  There have been many others with similar issues like yours.  Should this happen to you again, I recommend doing an uninstall and a clean install to resolve your problem with avast. 

It's a good thing you keep an eye on that orange ball and it's symbols  ;)

ziucqea

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
Hi.  I've been an Avast! free home user for several years and upgraded to Avast! 5 several months ago.  I currently have version 5.0.545.

I had my computer on earlier this afternoon and had no problem.  After I turned it on I got the little notification rectangle in the lower right corner of my screen advising me that the definitions had been updated and everything appeared to go well from the time I booted up until I shut down -- I actually do try to pay attention to these things.

This evening I turned the computer on again.  As Windows XP SP3 booted up I got the orange "a" ball in my system tray, but it had a yellow symbol in it -- I clicked on it and was warned that my system was NOT secured -- this is the first time I have ever experienced this problem.  It looked like all of the sub-systems of Avast were turned off.  I clicked on a button to "Fix Now" and it appears that all systems are working now.

Basically, I'd like to know if I have a problem or anything to be concerned about.  Is it really "Fixed?"

Any idea what might have happened?

Thanks, Kevin
Well, if it hasn't been fixed, it will carry on notifying you that it needs fixing. Ajust Scan Priority to 'High', enable 'PUP', 'Use code emulation', and undergo a Full System Scan.
Actually I recommand the A-squared Free to be a scanner since it has a much higher rate of detection. But still enable the above models in 'Real Time Shields'.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:22:36 PM »
Actually I recommand the A-squared Free to be a scanner since it has a much higher rate of detection. But still enable the above models in 'Real Time Shields'.
A-squared has MANY false positives.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is much better.  

Maybe you should update your PROFILE as your qq.com email is visible to spammers and scammers.  :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
A-squared has MANY false positives.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is much better.
+1
The best things in life are free.

ziucqea

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »

Maybe you should update your PROFILE as your qq.com email is visible to spammers and scammers.  :o

Actually QQ mail is quite sufficient in blocking spams....Especially for those from english websites with hosts of pictures. Even those from the official websites of Norman, Panda and Avast! are thrown into the bin straight away...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:40:34 AM by ziucqea »