Author Topic: Trouble with Avast and power settings?  (Read 3017 times)

austinpctech

Trouble with Avast and power settings?
« on: July 20, 2004, 06:17:03 AM »
I am having trouble with Avast on a Win98 SE machine with the power settings set to turn off the monitor after 30 minutes.  After the monitor turns off and while Avast is scanning the drive, I am unable to get the monitor back on.  The light on the monitor is flashing indicating that the video board is off and the only thing I can do to get it back on is to reboot.  Of course at that point I have to restart the Avast scan.

Has anyone else heard of this problem and know of a solution other than to lengthen the power settings?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Trouble with Avast and power settings?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 08:30:08 AM »
Did you only moved mouse to wake machine up or did you pressed a key on keyboard?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Amerk_5

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 09:25:04 AM »
I have also had the same problem when using the powers settings. Also running Win98SE, except I don't have avast scanning. I just have the Blank Screen screensaver running. Rather than deal with the machine locking up I just set the power settings to Always On.

The power settings are really only supposed to be for laptops which run on batteries & aren't always plugged into the wall. They're not meant for desktop computers.

There may be a conflict with the power settings & avast, I don't know. I haven't bothered to look into it since I can fix it by turning off the power settings.

Cochise

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 01:52:33 PM »
I am having trouble with Avast on a Win98 SE machine with the power settings set to turn off the monitor after 30 minutes.  After the monitor turns off and while Avast is scanning the drive, I am unable to get the monitor back on.  The light on the monitor is flashing indicating that the video board is off and the only thing I can do to get it back on is to reboot.  Of course at that point I have to restart the Avast scan.

Has anyone else heard of this problem and know of a solution other than to lengthen the power settings?

Did you have that problem prior to installing Avast? Try it with screensaver set to none. Some third party screen savers can cause problems. You might want to check your bios settings also. I am running win98se and my bios has settings to allow power management functions and different power management options for the drive, monitor, on-off power button etc. I think you hit the F1 key on boot up to get to the bios settings. Make sure you do not change any of the other settings that do not relate to power management and you should probably write down the original power management settings if you decide to change any of the options.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 01:53:35 PM by Cochise »

neal62

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 05:55:30 PM »
I have found out because I use Win98 2nd Edition on one of my computers, that it's best to set the power settings to "Aways on, Never, and Never". By choosing these settings you may find that your problem with Avast scanning disappears. :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:55:53 PM by neal62 »