Author Topic: Avast 5 Internet Security On Windows XP Professional x64  (Read 4305 times)

Coi

Avast 5 Internet Security On Windows XP Professional x64
« on: February 01, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »
Hi everyone.

When I installed the trial version of Avast 5 Internet Security,
I had to restart my computer, so I clicked Restart.

When I logged back in, my computer was behaving weird.
No sound, no other programs running, I only saw the avast! icon in the down-right corner of the screen.

Also, the task bar crashed at startup and was only reacting some minutes after it.
So I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager, and I saw there was only about 250 MB RAM in use,
while my PC normally uses almost 1 GB of RAM when it runs all the programs that should be running at startup.

For some reason I knew that avast was causing this weird behavior, maybe because there could be compatibility problems with the built-in firewall of avast! and the firewall (Outpost Firewall 2009) I am using.
When the task bar was finally fully loaded I went to the Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs, but the list was empty, I didn't see "Please wait while the list is been populated".
So I used CCleaner to remove avast! Internet Security from my computer. The uninstallation was hanging when removing File System,
so I canceled it.

After that, I restarted my computer which was not shutting down. It kept showing the background (without desktop icons or taskbar),
so I put off the power and then started my computer again.
Internet Security seemed to be uninstalled completely now.

I don't know if avast had some compatibility problems with one of the following security programs I already used:

-Outpost Firewall 2009
-Ad-Aware Free with real-time protection enabled (the only thing it does is watching the processes)

I used avast 4.8 before, I had no problems with it.

Another possible reason why my computer started behaving weird was maybe because I was still using avast 4.8,
the installation of avast 5.0 uninstalled it automatically, but it's possible something went wrong.

I installed the avast! Free Antivirus, which is working very well (and not asking for restart) unlike Internet Security,
on Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 bit.

pierre fredette

Re: Avast 5 Internet Security On Windows XP Professional x64
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:57:49 PM »
I cant restart mine on vista

ziucqea

Re: Avast 5 Internet Security On Windows XP Professional x64
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »
Hi everyone.

When I installed the trial version of Avast 5 Internet Security,
I had to restart my computer, so I clicked Restart.

When I logged back in, my computer was behaving weird.
No sound, no other programs running, I only saw the avast! icon in the down-right corner of the screen.

Also, the task bar crashed at startup and was only reacting some minutes after it.
So I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager, and I saw there was only about 250 MB RAM in use,
while my PC normally uses almost 1 GB of RAM when it runs all the programs that should be running at startup.

For some reason I knew that avast was causing this weird behavior, maybe because there could be compatibility problems with the built-in firewall of avast! and the firewall (Outpost Firewall 2009) I am using.
When the task bar was finally fully loaded I went to the Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs, but the list was empty, I didn't see "Please wait while the list is been populated".
So I used CCleaner to remove avast! Internet Security from my computer. The uninstallation was hanging when removing File System,
so I canceled it.

After that, I restarted my computer which was not shutting down. It kept showing the background (without desktop icons or taskbar),
so I put off the power and then started my computer again.
Internet Security seemed to be uninstalled completely now.

I don't know if avast had some compatibility problems with one of the following security programs I already used:

-Outpost Firewall 2009
-Ad-Aware Free with real-time protection enabled (the only thing it does is watching the processes)

I used avast 4.8 before, I had no problems with it.

Another possible reason why my computer started behaving weird was maybe because I was still using avast 4.8,
the installation of avast 5.0 uninstalled it automatically, but it's possible something went wrong.

I installed the avast! Free Antivirus, which is working very well (and not asking for restart) unlike Internet Security,
on Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 bit.
Many bizzare problems undergo on Win XP 64 bit...
But OutPost is still a better firewall than that of Avast!
But I don't like Russia. Actually I think Comodo is better...