Author Topic: just for testing download speeds....  (Read 2262 times)

zfactor

just for testing download speeds....
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:30:47 AM »
i have 2 laptops EXACTLY THE SAME t9800 4gb etc very fast and capable, they are configured EXACTLY the same with ONLY win7 the drivers and i installed avast 5 is on one of them. the other i started with kaspersky 2011. i downloaded the same file on both it is a 1.5gb file, kaspersky near 2.5mb download speed avast system less than 500kb. i tested this with multiple files and had nearly the same results. i also tried with web shield turned off and it helped some but i got no where near the kaspersky speeds.

i formatted and reinstalled win7 this time i ran norton, pretty much same or close results as first time.  

once again with panda is 2010 avast download speeds were trumped again.

why is this? and what is going on to cause this. both systems have all the SAME equipment in them including the wireless cards and are connected to the same router sitting directly next to each other etc...does the web scanning continue with web shield turned off? one thing i am seeing with kaspersky for instance is it seems to scan the whole file once its complete while avast seems to be scanning as it comes down. is this correct in how avast works

also to add speedtests seem about the same with these programs. i get close to the same results im strictly speaking about the actual file download speeds...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:02:37 AM by zfactor »

zfactor

Re: just for testing download speeds....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
hmm if i turn off the p2p shield it speeds downloads up a good amount... why is this

ziucqea

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
hmm if i turn off the p2p shield it speeds downloads up a good amount... why is this
I don't think it's needed to enable p2p shield. Actually, of all the shield models, i installed File System Shield and Network shield only(Network Shield for anti-phishing)
Since viruses must be downloaded to your computer before doing any damage, the file shield will do most of the job. Why not 'all' job? Because Network shield needs turning on to deal with the phishing sites.
PS: Using Firefox with WOT enhances the level of security...Especially anti-phishing

zfactor

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
p2p helps but still does not get me anywhere near the speeds of kaspersky and norton when downloading large files.